Friday, March 30, 2012

September 15, 1945 A Few Broken Eggs, The Visit to Mystic and The Crazy Weather

Miami Daily News, Sept. 16, 1945
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"School began Wednesday so I'm already knee deep in reading.  I haven't been to my classes enough times yet to know whether I'm going to like this year's work or not.

The weather has been sort of crazy.  Yesterday it was cool enough to need a sweater and today it's plain hot.  Maybe the Florida hurricane has something to do with it but the weatherman doesn't think the hurricane will get to New England.http://www.weather.com/blog/weather/8_20303.html

The eggs came today.  There were several broken ones but I used them all but two so that's all right.  I had to throw away a filler it was so messy.  They certainly are cheap.  That will be $5.19 more on the yarn.  I don't think that will finish paying for it but we'll see when I get your afghan done.  I haven't had much time to work on it this week so it may take a long time to make it.  Send me the pink and yellow yarn you have but I don't need the gray.  Yes, you sent enough for the watch and I hope you have it by now.  It's insured.

Our house is the home of the people we rent from.  The girl lived here before she was married so everything is fixed for comfort.

We popped some of Daddy's popcorn last night.  It popped real well and was awfully good.

I wish Beulah and Nobel would rent Milton's place.  It's pretty nice and would be so near town.  You could drive out evenings and it would be nice for all of you.  I'm anxious to know what they do.  I've been looking for a letter from Beulah but I guess she's too busy.

Can you buy soap now?  The stores here even advertise it.

Bonnie at Mystic

I wish you could have been with us last Sunday.  We went to the Marine Museum in Mystic, Conn.  It is full of relics from whaling ships and they still have a whole ship that sailed about 100 years ago.  We went all through it.  Maybe we'll go there if you come to see us.  We bought some melons and 1/2 bushel of tomatoes from roadside stands.  We're still eating on the tomatoes but they keep well in the refrigerator.  Our box is bigger than yours and holds lots.  I have the whole case of eggs in there now.  We're sending the case back today.


Tomorrow we are going to a tea at the Lovell's.  We aren't very excited about going but I guess we'll have to.  We are going to a Shakespeare play this afternoon and it's about time so I better stop.

Maybe I'll have more to write about next week."

                             Lots of love,

                                       B & Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!