Wednesday, February 29, 2012

May 27, 1944 The Photographer, The Last Supper and The Churches Make Plans


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Today is the first sunny day we've had all week.  It has been so cold and rainy but everyone with victory gardens were wanting rain.

We're as busy as ever.  This morning B went to the library and the barber (bad as he hates to) and I went to a photographer's to have my picture taken for the paper.  He called and asked me to come and I went with one of the other girls that was elected for an office in the Dames.  He is the society photographer of New Haven and his prices are terrible so I don't plan to buy any.

B works on his thesis problem when he has time and plans to do a lot of work after we get back from our trip home.  All his classes but one are finished at Yale and there are only two weeks more for him to teach at Hopkins.

Next Wednesday night is the "last supper" for the Education department.  That's what they call the dinner meeting they always have the last of school.  I went last year and didn't think I was going to get to go this year but there were extra tickets so one was saved for me.  Last year was the first year wives were invited and I guess only a few of us will get to go this year.  The speaker is to be Margaret Mead who spent several years studying life among the natives of New Guinea.  She ought to be interesting.

I have worked out my schedule for next fall and hope it won't be as much work as this year has been.  I guess it was worth it, though.  The song I wrote is written on paper too large to send in a letter but maybe I'll bring a copy when we come home.

We were certainly glad to get your letter.  I'm so glad Daddy is better and I wish he could stay at home and rest a long time.

Charlotte must be a lot like I used to be about falling down. You always told me that I always had a skinned knee.

We will have to come home on the train.  There wouldn't be a chance of us getting gasoline so we could drive.  It would be so much cheaper if we could.  B called the depot and it will cost us about $140. for both ways.  If all goes well we will probably start home about July 1.  It will be hot but I won't mind that.  We can hardly wait.

We went to church Sunday.  All the churches here have made plans for prayer meetings on the day invasion starts and when fighting stops.  The sooner it comes the better."

             Lots of love,

                 B & Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!