Tuesday, February 21, 2012

January 29, 1944 The Return to College, Supper at the Hill's, Oatmeal Cherry Cookies and Peanut Butter Cookies


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"One week of school is gone and I've had a wonderful time.  It almost seems like a dream--going back after I've been out so long.  I certainly enjoy it and I think B is as thrilled as I am because the first thing I have to do when I come home is tell what I've done and how I did it.  Everyone is friendly--teachers and students.  I haven't had time for anything but study all week, but it will be easier after we get going.

I have art, music, children's literature, physical education and curriculum materials.  They are offering some late-afternoon and evening extension classes later which I may take.  After two weeks of courses we are sent out to the grade schools in the city for practice teaching and do this all day for six weeks.  I'm going to teach the fifth grade.  It's all exciting to me--one minute I'm anxious to go and the next minute I get "cold feet".  Of course the regular teacher will help us and probably do most of the teaching.

Last Sunday we went out to Dr. Hill's for supper.  There were fourteen of us and we ate buffet style.  Their house is gorgeous.  The living room is huge and simply furnished.  She had a beautiful Grande Piano.  The only real fancy thing about the house was the light fixture in the dining room.  It was a rather large crystal one with prisms and so pretty.  We had a grand time.  The men went into the study and talked and we stayed in the living room and some of the girls played the piano.  The Hills are lovely people.  Both of them are fat and jolly.  They haven't any servants and both of them are noted for their cooking.  Mr. Hill is a fancy cook.  We had fruit juice to start with and then creamed chicken in a pastry cup, green lima beans and corn mixed, gelatin salad, pickles, olives, hot rolls.  For dessert we had almond ice-cream (tinted green) in a crisp cake cup, and coffee.  It was all delicious and we had second helpings.

I almost wish I had your old washing machine, but I wouldn't have a place to put it.  My ironing has been sitting for a week and I don't know when I'll do it.  We are going to a play tonight.

Last night I made some cookies--oatmeal and peanut butter.  They really tasted good.  I don't do much baking.  It takes so long.  I have less time now than I did when I worked, only I don't get so tired even with longer hours.  The time I had at home after I quit work gave me a good rest and I got lots done.  The apartment is in good shape now (if the windows were washed Ha!).  My last commission check came Monday.  It was for December and was $46.

I must get busy if I get anything done.  We want to go to the library this afternoon."

                                                       Worlds of love,
                                                 
                                                                   B & Bonnie

                                                                   
Oatmeal Cherry Cookies

Cream together 1 c. butter, 3/4 c. brown sugar and 1/2 c. sugar.  Beat until fluffy and add 1 large egg and 1 tsp. vanilla.    Mix together 1-1/2 c. flour, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 tsp. baking powder and 1 tsp. cinnamon.  Stir in 3 c. oatmeal and 1 c. chopped  cherriesDrop by tsp. on greased sheet and bake @ 350 10 min.  Cool on pan a bit before removing.

Peanut Butter Refrigerator Cookies 

Cream 1/2 c. shortening (can use part bacon drippings), 1/2 c. peanut butter and 1 c. sugar.  Beat in 1 egg and 1 tsp. vanilla.  Mix together 1-3/4 c. flour, 1/2 tsp. soda, 1/2 tsp salt.  Mix all together and add 2 T. milk.  Shape into roll 2" diameter.  Wrap in waxed paper and chill overnight.  Slice into 1/4" slices.  Bake on greased sheet at 350 about 10 min.  Will be very lt. brown.  Burn easily.  (Can also roll dough into balls and flatten criss-cross with a fork.)  Double the batch to make about 112 cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!