Wednesday, February 22, 2012

February 5, 1944 Liking School, Discussing 5th Grade and The Burned Books


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"There really isn't any news since all we've done is go to school.  I still like it very much.  Monday I go out to teach and how that will come out, I don't know.  The school isn't too far away, but I have only an hour for lunch so I'll take mine.  We have had to hand in a few papers and I got two of them back.  They were in art and I got A's (same as E) on both of them so I guess that's a good start at least.

I haven't got much done today.  Sully came, as usual, and stayed till about 9:30.  We started talking about school of course and that can go on and on.  He is supervisor of a training school in one of the other teachers' colleges and he has charge of fourth and fifth grades, so since I have grade five, I gave him the third degree about how everything was done.  He will probably be a lot of help to me.

Bonnie's 5th Grade Report Card

Report Card Insert
Yesterday after school I cleaned the apartment so I have pies in the oven this morning.  I mixed up more pumpkin than I thought so I have three pies.  I guess we'll be pie-faced before the week is over.

It has been almost a year since we were home.  The year has gone fast but it seems a long time since we saw any of you.  We like it here so much, if things were only so we could come home often or you could all be here.  You would like it here.  There are so many wonderful things to see and places to go.

I'm sure you enjoyed the Chinese speaker.  I would have, too.  Talking of speakers, did you know that Norman Thomas is a retired Presbyterian minister?  We were so surprised.

We still haven't got paid for our sheets or table-cloths, but before I left Malleys I bought 3 new sheets so I'm doing all right.  Both luncheon cloths I lost were given to me by Meta.  One was the cat-tail cloth which I liked so well.  That fire certainly made a mess of things.  There were two big book stores in the block and they were ruined completely.  There were thousands of books burned.

 It's almost dinner time so bye, bye."

                                                    Lots & lots of love,

                                                                 B & Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!