Saturday, February 18, 2012

December 24, 1943 Christmas Eve, The Dishes and The Swiss Steak


December 24, 1943

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Today is Christmas Eve, and our tree is piled with presents.  We got your box yesterday, but we are not going to open anything until tomorrow.  Thanks for putting the sacks in.  I think I'll make a lunch cloth out of the flowered one.

I started this early this morning, but it is late now and I have been getting things ready for dinner tomorrow.  We invited the Caughlans and their two boys to eat dinner with us, because we ate there last year.  We're having chicken with all the trimmings.  It has been so long since I fixed one I'm not sure I took everything out that I was supposed to.  Ha!

The studio had their Christmas party at our boss's house on Wednesday night.  He gave each of us a bottle of cologne and bath powder.  We drew names and I got a beautiful blue vase.  After we exchanged gifts we had a buffet supper.  B went with me.  Our Christmas present from the home office was a four day vacation with pay.  I'm going to work next week and then not go back.  I'll get my vacation pay anyway.  We got our bonus checks last week.  Mine was $57. but they took $10. out for tax.

Molly Pitcher
We got the dishes.  The cups never came in so we bought a set for eight.  It has everything in it.  We are certainly proud of them.

Last Sunday we had a big Swiss steak so at the last minute I called one of the girls from the studio, and she and her soldier husband came for dinner.

We got your letter this morning. The things we sent you all weren't very fancy but I hope they reached you in good shape and that you'll like them.  We got lots of nice cards.  I strung them on a cord and have them hanging across the wall by the tree.  They look very pretty.  Was Joe's card mailed in the United States or on board a ship?  Do you ever write to him?

My telephone number is 7-1897.  It's past my bedtime so I better stop.  Merry, merry Christmas.  We miss you all so much."

                                                            Worlds of love,

                                                                       B & Bonnie

 Swiss Steak
  
Mix together 1 T dry mustard, 1-1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. pepper, and 1/2 c. flour.  Cut 2-1/2 - 3 lbs. round steak into serving pieces.  Dredge in flour mixture.  Brown well in 3 T oil or more if needed.  Put in deep baking dish.  Add 1-1/2 c. sliced onion and 2 carrots, diced.  Mix 2 c. canned chopped tomatoes, 2 T Worcestershire sauce and 3 tsp. brown sugar.  Pour over meat and vegetables.  Cover and bake @ 325 for 2 hrs. until very tender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!