Sunday, February 26, 2012

April 8, 1944 Sewing, B Wants Angel Food, Letters to Write, Eggs and Honey Angel Cake

Third Anniversary
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"The weather this week has been simply crazy.  One day we had a lot of snow on the ground and next day it was all gone and real warm.  Today the rain is pouring.   I had intended to go to town and try to find me some blue shoes, but I hate to go in the rain.


B has gone to school to do some studying.  Since yesterday was Good Friday I didn't have to go to school.  I cleaned the apartment and yesterday afternoon took some sewing and went to Caughlan's to use the machine.  I made a white scarf to put in my new coat and put a zipper and band on a skirt.  You know that navy dress of mine that had all of the pleats in the skirt--I ripped the waist off and fixed it so I could wear it as a skirt.  When I find time I'm going to make the blouse Beulah sent to go with it.  I went out on the bus and when B came after me they insisted that we stay for supper and we had a very nice time.

Last Saturday our friend, Dave, came to see us.  We hadn't seen him in a long time because he is teaching too and doesn't come to New Haven much.

I went to the Dames Hospital Unit Tuesday night.  We always get a lot done and it's very interesting to learn to do all the different things and know how they use them.

The birthday card Bonnie sent to her mother

We'll try to go to church tomorrow but it doesn't look like Easter bonnets will be appropriate from today's weather.  Mother, we thought of you yesterday and hoped you had a happy birthday.  Did you get the package?  it wasn't much but I hope you like it.  We sent Stevie some sox, paint book, paints and crayons.  It is so hard to find anything decent for the money you have to spend.



I had a letter from Buddy last week.  They must have a typewriter because he had typed it.  My letters pile up on me so fast.  We owe seven letters.  I guess you wonder who I write to, but Helen S. sent me a beautiful card my birthday, and I write to two girls that I worked with but have left new Haven, besides Beulah, Buddy, Rosalynn, Horace, Billy Young that used to be here from Springfield and you and B's folks.

We will soon be married three years.  For our anniversary present we subscribed to Fortune Magazine.  The rate is $10. a year but B got an offer through Yale of $6. so we thought it was worth it.

Do you have the car fixed?  I hope Daddy doesn't try to walk home for lunch.  That would be so hard.  I saw in the Mirror that mechanics were wanted at Fort Wood.  Why doesn't Daddy apply?  It would be a relief from that store.

We don't know whether B will have to go into a defense plant or not.  In fact we don't have time to think about it.  He works day and night trying to get everything he can, done.  After our trip home he wants to spend the rest of the time reading for his thesis.

I'm glad John Henry was rejected.  He is ruptured, isn't he?  Is that what kept him out of the army?  Aunt Cliffie has a time with her kids.  I hope Junior is better.  What is wrong with Dr. Oliver?

I wish I could get into your egg basket.  We'd have angel food and scrambled eggs and everything.  We use quite a lot of eggs.  The best ones are about .45, which isn't bad.  B is always wishing for angel food and wrote his mother the strongest hint I ever read, the other day.  I made all kinds of fun of him but she wrote back and said it would probably dry out before it got here.

I must get busy so write soon."

                                                                Lots of love,

                                                                           B & Bonnie

NOTE:  Images of Yale, c 1940, are postcards from B's collection.


Honey Angel Cake

Heat ungreased 10" angel pan in 375 oven.  Beat till frothy 1-1/2 c. egg whites (about 10 eggs) with 1/2 tsp. salt.  Add and beat till peaks stand, 2 tsp. cream of tartar.  Gradually beat in 1/2 c. strained honey.  Sift together and fold in 1 c. fine granulated sugar and lightly by thirds (wire whisk) and 1 c. sifted cake flour.  Fold in 1 tsp. vanilla.  Remove heated pan from oven and pour in batter.  Thump pan several times on table.  Bake 30 min. @ 375.  Cool completely and wrap tightly and freeze until ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!