Tuesday, January 31, 2012

March 14, 1943 The Ham and Eggs, Victory Gardens, The Chickenpox and The Shortages


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It was so nice to get two letters this week.  I'm sorry I disappointed you by writing just one but I thought we had decided to write just once a week.

It doesn't seem possible that we were really home, but I'm awfully thankful for the few days we had with all of you.


How are the baby chickens by now?  No, we didn't have a single broken egg when we got here.  We have about a dozen left.  It really is nice to use all the eggs you want to, for once.  I am cooking the shank of our ham today.  I'm going to cook onions, potatoes & carrots with it.  That ham is really good and not salty either.  Slice it thin and fry it slowly and it's like Swift's Premium.

We didn't celebrate much, my birthday.  The stores were all closed and B couldn't buy anything so he gave me some money.  I think I'll buy my goblets with it and the money you gave me.  I've been looking for them but haven't found but one pattern I like and it was $22.00 a dozen.  That's a bit high, I think.

It's awfully hard to find what groceries you want now and food is so high.  Cabbage is .10 or .12 a pound.

Chickenpox and measles are going around town.  One of the girls from the studio has been out about a week with the chickenpox.   I was boss yesterday because Mr. King's mother died and he took a plane for St. Louis yesterday morning.

Did you get the potatoes planted, Daddy?  Everyone here is planning his victory garden.  I guess I'll have to get a cheese box and plant mine.  That's all I'll have time for.

I'll probably not write again until next Sunday so don't be looking for an extra one this time."

                                                    Lots & lots of love,

                                                               B & Bonnie


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!