Friday, January 27, 2012

January 1, 1943 The New Year, The City People, The Eggs, The Cheese and The Rogue's Gallery



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Here it is the first day of a new year and I have really celebrated.  I did a two weeks washing this morning and had just hung out the sheets when it started snowing.  I hung everything out anyway and most of it is still there.  This afternoon I cleaned the apartment and waxed the kitchen floor, so I won't have much to do the rest of the weekend.

New Year's day here seems almost as important as Christmas.  Everything is closed today and tomorrow.  We went to a show last night and there was an awful mob down town.  As we came out of the show people were just jammed into the front of the theater waiting to get into the next show. Everybody had horns and whistles just like you read about. Now we've seen how city people celebrate New Year's Eve.

We're glad you liked the presents.  We had a hard time buying things that wouldn't weigh too much or break.  The lace on the hankie was fancier than the pattern looked but I knew you would appreciate my work.  I forgot I had it until I had all the packages wrapped so I had to put it in an envelope and stick it on top.  The pictures were only proofs and I colored them up a bit.  They were taken so the main office could have my picture in what they call the Rogue's Gallery.  They have the pictures of all the girls that work for them, in the personnel director's office.  B's mom liked her picture too.

She was certainly pleased about you sending her the eggs.  She said they were the nicest white eggs she had ever seen.  We buy eggs all of the time but don't use a lot of them.  The last we got were .47.  Most of them are cold storage eggs and I don't like to eat them so we use most of them to cook with.  I wish we could trade some of our sugar for some of your sugar cured meat.

Who wanted to buy the place?  I don't think $4000. was enough, either and unless you get a big big price for it don't sell it till I can see it once more and be at home again.

I knew Daddy and Nobel would like the cheese and I hope Daddy didn't get the stomach ache.  It is Baby Gouda cheese (pronounced goo da) and was .29 for the piece.  It's about .41 a pound.  The larger ones are called Edam, but it's the same cheese and they weigh about 1-1/2 lbs.  You can probably get one or the other.

I forgot to tell you I had a new dress to wear Christmas.  It's blue wool jersey.  Rather plain, but pretty.  I'm going to get a blue hat to go with it, I think.


Write soon.  We're always looking for a letter."

                                        Lots & Lots of love,
                                        
                                                   B & Bonnie


10 comments:

  1. Lovely, as ever. I liked the lace work - we have bits and pieces like that from Karin's mother - she was always doing some sort of embroidery. Don't think I've heard of cold storage eggs before.
    All good wishes to you, and yours for the New Year - hope you have a special 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much, Mike! My grandparents used to mail eggs from Missouri to Connecticut because they had plenty, but were scarce in the Northeast during the war. Hard to imagine safe passage, but they usually arrived unbroken. Thank you for writing and for your thoughtful message. Happy New Year to you and Karin as well!

      Delete
  2. A lovely reminder of a more carefree way of life; the posters and advertisements made everything seem more colourful.
    Happy New Year Ann to you, your family and your gentle blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for writing and for your kind greeting! My mom would be honored to know that you consider the blog "gentle". Happy New Year!

      Delete
  3. Like a mini time capsule opening to read your blog. I am pinning it to my Vintage Blog board as usual.
    I had not heart of cold storage eggs either. Is that what we have today and don't think about it? Funny, I was raised on a farm and never heard of this, but we had more milk cows than hens, and didn't sell the eggs. They were for us.
    Thanks yet again for letting us look into your families past, and Hope Your New Year is the best to be put on the books when 2017 rolls around.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Margaret! I really appreciate your comments and I have no idea about the cold storage eggs but it must be what we have now. Odd to think that we didn't refrigerate eggs but we all survived just fine! I can't believe that my grandparents MAILED eggs to my parents. Imagine trying that today. Happy New Year to you and yours and thanks so much for writing, pinning and enjoying!

      Delete
  4. Happy New Year Ann. What a wonderful post. You are so blessed to have these family memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Pam! Your grandmother and her experiences certainly gave you lots of wonderful memories as well! And the style you create from her inspiration is incredible. Happiest New Year to you!

      Delete
  5. Great post Ann! I had no idea about the eggs either...odd to think of shipping eggs:)
    I always come away from your posts with something learned and a new respect for the past.
    The lace trim is beautiful, your mother was really handy and creative with everything...quite an impressive lady!
    Happy New Year Ann and thank you for allowing these glimpses of the past.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, as always, for your nice comments and for reading the letters! My mom would be delighted to know that someone learned something from her letters. I often wonder if my grandmother saved them for that very reason. I can hear Mom's voice as if she were right here saying, "Someday you'll want to read these!" Happy New Year, Pam, and thanks again.

      Delete

I welcome your comments!