Friday, January 27, 2012

December 28, 1942 Christmas and Cake

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We had a wonderful Christmas.  Thanks so much for your nice package.  It was more than we expected.  B is real proud of his pajamas.  They are such nice ones.  I like my pajamas real well too.  I think it's the first extra nice pair I ever had.  The hankies were lovely and it was such a nice surprise to find the hose.  It's hard to get nice hose.  I bought a pair of nylons not so long ago, but they have cotton feet and tops.  We got so many nice things it's hard to remember everything.  The girls sent a nice picture of the three of them together.  It was such a lovely picture.  We exchanged names down at the studio and the girl gave me a set of salt and pepper shakers with sterling tops.  I'm awfully proud of them.  The company sent me $5. in war stamps.  B gave me a book on etiquette, a Dazey nut cracker that fastens to the wall and a Harris tweed coat.  I've always wanted one.  It's certainly warm.  He completely surprised me with it and it fits perfectly.  I gave him a 17 jewel Elgin and he's like a little boy, he's so proud. 

We saved all our packages and opened them Christmas morning.  About 2:00 we went to Caughlan's to a lovely turkey dinner.  Griffins were there too and we all ate and ate.  It was after 11:00 when we got home.  We ate so much dinner that we just had ice-cream and cake and tea for supper.  I didn't work yesterday so last night we had the Griffins over for supper and then went to the play, "Angel Street".

The stores here are going to be closed again New Year's day and the next day so I'll have another little vacation.  We went to church this morning at Dwight Chapel.  It's another church on the old campus of Yale.


I hope you had a Christmas tree and a nice big Christmas.  Write soon.  Thanks again for all the nice things."

                                              Lots & Lots of love,

                                                            B & Bonnie

Dream Cake

Separate 8 eggs.  Beat yolks with 1/2 tsp. salt till very thick and lemon color.  Beat in 1 T. lemon juice.  Add 1 c. sugar gradually and beat until thick enough to hold a soft peak.  Beat egg whites till frothy.  Add 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar.  Beat until stiff but not dry peaks.  Fold in egg whites & 3/4 c. sifted flour.  Pour into ungreased angel pan.  Bake @ 350 40 min.  Invert pan:  Let hang till cold. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!