Thursday, April 12, 2012

March 9, 1946 The Ham, The Lard, The Popcorn, The Defense and The French Fries

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"This is the most glorious day you can imagine.  It is warm and real springlike.  The whole week has been nice but I don't know how much longer it will last.

We got the package soon after we mailed our letters last week.  I don't know when I've been so thrilled over anything.  I knew it was meat but the lard and popcorn was such a surprise and then I just kept being surprised when I found the hanky and the dollar.  The card was lovely.  It had such a nice verse.  You certainly outdid yourselves on that present!  We cut the ham right then and had some for supper.  I thought last year's ham was good but I believe this one is better.  It certainly is nice.

The package went to the other place and the people upstairs didn't know where we had moved but they took the trouble to find out and came all the way out here to tell us about the package.  They were afraid to bring it for fear they couldn't find us.  It is about five miles out here so I thought it was awfully nice of them.  We took them some ham the next day so I don't know how they liked it.

B's folks and Mabel & Horace sent me enough wine velveteen for a suit.  It is a lovely piece of material.  Dorothy has a portable machine so I'm going to try to make my suit.  I guess you know Beulah sent me a package too so I had a real nice birthday.  B has already ordered French fries now that we have a lot of lard.

Yes, I got Beulah's letter long ago with the money order and I intended to answer right back but so many things happened so fast that i never have written.  I'll try to soon, though.

Dr. Hill called B yesterday and told him to come for his examinations about the 22nd of this month.  It is an oral examination before several professors and lasts several hours.  B will have to defend his dissertation and answer their questions about it.

We like this place more and more.  Besides us, there is only Dorothy who teaches school.  We have a bedroom and she has hers, then we all use the rest of the house.  We cook and eat together and share all of the bills.  We have all the work divided so it works just fine.  The house is just a one family house and we couldn't very well divide it any other way.  I hope we don't have to move any more till we leave New Haven.

I'm learning to knit, too--in school.  In fact I've started a little sweater but I don't know how it will look.

What has been wrong with Buddy?  Six weeks is a long time to be sick.

I guess this is all the news.  Thanks again for all the nice things."

                  Lots of love,

                         B & Bonnie

NOTE from Ann:  On March 5, 1946, Churchill gave his famous Iron Curtain speech at Westminster College.  For more information:  http://www.history.com/this-day-in-history/churchill-delivers-iron-curtain-speech 

To see an excerpt:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAyXXepUgrE

Bonnie's French Fries

For each person, peel one large potato and slice into fries about the thickness of your index finger.
Soak in ice water for about 10 minutes.  Drain and dry potatoes.  Drop small batches into very hot lard and fry until light brown and crisp.  Drain immediately and salt.  The same procedure can be used with sweet potatoes, but drain and sprinkle with confectioners sugar when fried. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!