Sunday, February 26, 2012

April 1, 1944 The Dames Came, Newspaper Bedside Bags, Gingerbread Cupcakes, The Penelope and Sweet Perked Mocha Coffee



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"What a week this has been.  I think the teachers at the college are trying to make up for time lost when we were out in the grade schools.  They are simply pouring the work on us.  Maybe it just seemed hard since it was the first week back in regular classes.


The Dames came here Tuesday night to do hospital work.  I was lucky that day because some of the teachers went to New York and I didn't have a class until 2:00, so I had all morning to clean and bake.  I made cup cakes (white and gingerbread) and served them with cocoa.  Usually we have coffee and the girls commented on how good the cocoa was.  There were nine of us and then B came home and two husbands came in so we ended up with a dozen for refreshments.  I had made oodles of cakes so I had plenty.  They thought we had a very nice apartment and looked the whole thing over.

Yesterday afternoon I went back to my grade school for Junior Red Cross Club.  We made bedside bags out of newspapers.  They are folded in such a way that forms a pocket on one end and the other end is tucked between the mattress and springs.  They are used in hospitals for the soldiers to put Kleenex and paper in and then can be burned.

As part of my work at school, I have to organize a story hour and tell stories one day a week.  I think I'll do this with the same children.

We spent this afternoon shopping for my Spring coat.  I finally found a navy blue-all wool crepe.  It is fitted and very nice.  Prices are terrible and the quality is poor in most of them.  I am well satisfied with my coat but had to give $35. for it.  I'm going to get some blue shoes and use the hat, purse and gloves I had last year.  Thanks a lot, but we don't need the shoe stamps.  We get along all right with what we have.  I will probably get a dress later, but it takes me so long to buy anything (I'm so hard to please) that I haven't time now.  We window shopped for B's suit today, but didn't find anything he cared for.

I'm about to change my mind about going to school this summer.  The tuition alone would be $60. for five weeks, besides books and I don't think it's worth it.  The work is twice as hard.  If I don't go, we may come home the last of July.

Mother, you and Stevie have a birthday in a few days, don't you.  I hope you have a happy one.  We'll send you a little package in a day or so.

Do your dreams worry you?  I hope not because we are perfectly well and plenty happy.  Life has been awfully good to us so far.

There will be a little something in your package for Charlotte.  I hope you don't get the things mixed up.  Ha!

I'm sending half of the meat stamps back because I think you made a mistake.  You know, you are supposed to use stamps across the book now, instead of up and down.  Some of these stamps won't be good for weeks and you may need them yourself.  If you see that you will need what I have kept, don't hesitate to write for them or if you don't need these you can send them back.  Ha!  We always have plenty.  Sometimes I wonder if you send them when you need them.

Tell Beulah I'll write if I ever can find some time.  Give Charlotte a hug for me.  She must be awfully sweet."

                                                                        Lots of love,

                                                                                 B & Bonnie

NOTE from Ann: For more on the Penelope see http://uboat.net/allies/warships/ship/4007.htm
The Penelope was destroyed on Feb. 18, 1944  See link below

And about the Jr. Red Cross:
American Junior Red Cross Activities Shift to the War Effort

American Junior Red Cross activities shifted to war-related efforts as the Second World War roared overseas. By 1942, over 13 million young people were enrolled in the Junior Red Cross, and, by 1945, that number soared to over 19 million. The organization's members, under the supervision of teachers, produced comfort and recreation articles for the armed forces. Boys in carpentry classes made games for sick soldiers or clothes hooks and magazine stands for military and naval hospitals. Girls in sewing classes knitted and sewed items for soldiers. The children also promoted international friendliness by corresponding with young people in Europe and Latin America and sending Christmas boxes to those in Europe.
Through the National Children's Fund, which was made up of contributions that Junior Red Cross members earned or saved, American Junior Red Crossers purchased thousands of dollars worth of basic educational and health supplies for distribution to schools and other institutions.
This six-year-old Austrian refugee received a new pair of shoes from American children through the Junior Red Cross at the end of the war. The photograph sparked an outpouring of clothing and other donations for the orphanage in Vienna.  (Quoted directly from www.redcross.org)



Gingerbread Cupcakes

Preheat oven to 375 and oil muffin tins.  Sift together 2-1/2 c. flour, 2 tsp. baking soda, 1/2 t salt and 1 T ginger.  Set aside.  Cream 1 stick oleo and 1/4 c. packed brown sugar.  Beat in 2 eggs and 1 c. molasses.  Stir in 1 c. boiling water.  Add flour mix all at once and mix till smooth.  Put into prepared tins and bake about 30 minutes or till toothpick comes out clean.  Serve with whipped cream.


(Good,Very Sweet) Perked Mocha Cocoa

Pour 5 c. water in percolator.  Combine in basket 1/2 c. cocoa, 2/3 c. sugar, 6 T ground coffee and 1/4 tsp. salt.  Perk on strong.  Heat 2-2/3 c. milk with 1 tsp. vanilla.  To serve, pour 1/3 c. milk in mug and fill with perked mix. 


Instant Cocoa Mix

Mix 4 c. instant dry milk, 4 T. cocoa, 4 T. sugar and 1/8 tsp. salt.  Store in covered jar.  To serve, use 3-1/2 T mix and 1 c. boiling water.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!