Monday, October 28, 2013

November 22, 1958 Shopping, Cleaning, Writing, Typing and Behind with Housework


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It's beautiful but cold and has been for several days.  I would like to do a little more yard work today but there are too many other things to do.

I took Ann to choir practice at 9:00 this morning and we went from there to a piano recital.  I'm real proud of the way she plays.

Bob is still in his pajamas watching TV and B has gone shopping.  I started cleaning yesterday but stopped and went to Bloomington.  Ann had to have new shoes before Sunday because the choir is singing in the Thanksgiving service.  I bought some Christmas cards yesterday, too.  We'll have to get the ones to Japan on their way soon.

The store where you bought your Haviland is closing out their pieces like your set for half price.  I asked if the pattern had been discontinued and the man said it was retired.  They won't stock it but some pieces can still be ordered from the factory.  He said the prices would be high and he couldn't guarantee getting any of them.  They had only a few pieces in the store and you have all of them except the sauce dishes.  He had just a dozen of them.  They were priced at $17.61 for the dozen & that is just half the price they were.  I was tempted to buy them but was afraid you might not want me to.  They might still have them if you should want them.

I still haven't heard from the Japanese china company.  I don't see how they could send a dozen saucers for much less than the Haviland.

My Christmas play centers around a little boy who wanted to have a birthday party for Jesus at the family's Christmas celebration.  Part of the party is the reading of the Christmas story from the Bible while it is acted out.

I've worked on my book a lot this week and I guess that is why I'm behind with my work today.  I still have a closing chapter to write and that will be hard to do.  I haven't even started it.

Ladies Home Journal, Dec., 1958

We will have Thanksgiving by ourselves I guess.  When you couldn't come, I wrote to Wheelers.  They couldn't come so I invited some friends here and they couldn't come so that's that.

I promised to type out some recipes for our church youth group.  They are making up a cook book to sell so I'd better get to work on that.

Hope you both are fine."

                     Lots of love,

                            Bonnie




No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!