Wednesday, September 25, 2013

March 8, 1958 Cold Again, Underwear and A Shovel, Cleaning, Mending, Filling Nail Holes and Sanding


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It's cold again but the redbirds are singing.  We're all ready for spring.  Ann discovered the tulips were up and simply jumped up & down.  Our yard sure is a mess but it looks like everyone else's --muddy & full of litter.


Thanks for the lovely birthday box.  I never have a pretty flower to wear and I always need underwear.  My birthday was real nice.  B & the children gave me a shovel I've been wanting, a subscription to a writer's magazine and some little things.  I guess I'll ask for a hoe next time.  Everyone laughs about my tools but I like them and I hate to borrow.


Our potluck was last Sat. night and one of the girls had baked me a big birthday cake so I really had a birthday party.  I showed some slides that night and then gave my talk at Wesleyan on Monday afternoon.  B left Sunday and I didn't have anything extra then until P.T.A. Thursday night.  I really worked while I had a chance--just cleaning drawers, mending, etc.  So many things get put back.

We didn't have very many for P.T.A.--around 60 but I was worn out when it was over.  Another girl and I went at 6:30 and it was 11:00 when I got home.  We had to wash all the plates and cups and clean up the kitchen afterwards.

We plan to work upstairs this afternoon--start filling nail holes & sanding.  I have some ironing to finish and the kids' piano practice to get out of the way so I'd better get busy.

Hope you both are fine."

                              Lots of love,

                                    Bonnie

NOTE:  I get a kick out of all the pastel appliance ads.  We always had white and Mom once said, "In a couple of years, people are going to regret putting in all those pink appliances!"  Given the current popularity and strong market for mid-century designed objects, some people probably wish they had kept them.

2 comments:

  1. I remember during the 60's and 70's in Australia there was a plethora of different coloured appliances. You could get fridges with interchangeable front panels.
    You could even get chocolate brown toilet suites and baths. I much prefer white but the latest brushed stainless steel is growing on me :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, the big colors here were Harvest Gold and Avocado Green--to go along with all the orange linens and such! I think it will take awhile before those colors come back in vogue, but apparently the pastels are already back:-)

    I think I'll pass on the brown bathroom fixtures as well. Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!