Wednesday, August 28, 2013

August 24, 1957 A Nice Birthday, A Big Time at the Fair, A Telegram from Watty and Green Tomato Mincemeat

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I've thought of you all day, Daddy & hope you had a nice birthday.  I'll try to get your package off to you as soon as I can so you'll get it the first of the week.

We had a big time at the fair and were worn out when we got home.  My feet were sore for several days from walking so much.  It was so near the end of the fair that lots of exhibits were gone & much of the stock was gone but we enjoyed it, anyway.


We got a telegram from Watty at noon Monday.  He sent it before they boarded the plane in San Francisco & wanted us to meet them in Chicago.  We took Lynn and left at 3:00.  Their plane came in right after 7:00 so we were home by 11:00 that night.  They were happy to be home but have had a fine trip.

I went to a luncheon and bridal shower yesterday.  Granny stayed with the kids and I was gone almost all afternoon.  

Edna is back in bed again.  Her back has not healed yet and she just doesn't know how long it will be.  Woody has been in N.Y. again working on his books but was coming home tonight.  I took her supper up a couple of times because she can't do much cooking--just eats eggs, cheeses and things already fixed.  B got her mail and I shopped for her.  She looks better now but was awfully pale a few days ago.

I have a cold and it makes me so draggy.  It is in my nose so it is hard to breathe.

Ann has her first piano lesson next week.  I wonder how she'll react.  I dread them.  Bob says he wants to go back to Wesleyan but I wonder if he will when the time comes.

I've had the Green Tomato Mincemeat recipe out ever since we came home from your house and kept forgetting it.  Here it is, at last.


It is thick and makes wonderful pies without anything added.

Hope you both are fine and still planning to come to see us."

                     Lots of love,

                             Bonnie

Happy Birthday, Grandad!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!