Monday, October 22, 2012

March 28, 1953 The Wheelers are Coming, The News is Scarce, The Weather is Beautiful and Salmon Cakes, Macaroni Goulash and Zesty Meat Loaf Keep Me Jumping

Gifts to B and Bonnie from the Sorensens, 1953

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"News is scarce and this is the only sheet of paper I can find anyway so I guess it will have to be a short letter.  We're expecting the Wheelers around supper time tomorrow.  Eve didn't know what time they'd get here so I'm just going to give them sandwiches and potato salad and pie when they get here.  I have worked in the kitchen most of the day fixing things ahead of time so I won't have much to do tomorrow.  I have meat for the week and some pies frozen in Toni's freezer.  I'd certainly like to have one for times like this.

We're having beautiful weather but it is cold.  The weatherman promises warmer weather, though so we're hoping he keeps his promise.

Bobby & Ann are both going to need spring coats but since it has stayed cold and we haven't gone anywhere I thought I'd wait until the sales after Easter.  Eve is going to bring Ann a few of Kathy's things so maybe there will be a coat.  She mentioned one once.  I gave up on my coat and had my old navy one cleaned.  I've got it home but haven't had time to take it out of the cleaner's bag or don't know how it looks.

I still like my dishes and they set a real pretty table.  We got 8 place settings.  I actually bought two starter sets which are priced cheaper that way than if you but the separate pieces.  It is open stock so I got cereal bowls too and then B went back and got breakfast plates.  The dinner plates are entirely too big for an egg and a strip of bacon or for our kind of lunch with just a sandwich and not much else.  I didn't get any extra vegetable bowls for I have some odd ones I can use.  This all came to about $18.00, I think, but there was only one set cheaper and I didn't like it.

I hunted thru the Post for something about the wedding Marjorie was in but couldn't find it.  I would like to have read about it.

It keeps me jumping to think up things to eat but my weekly menus are pretty much the same.  We usually have salmon cakes once a week with fried potatoes.  The kids like that.  We eat lots of meat loaf and I make that macaroni-hamburger casserole a lot.  You may remember I made that at home once.  Last Saturday I made a batch of those raised potato doughnuts and froze half of them.  That is a really good recipe.  

We haven't done anything extra this week.  Sorensens were here for pie and coffee Monday night.  They have gone to Florida for their Easter vacation.  He is really not vacationing though for he's going to spend the time studying an orange growing community.  He's writing another book and is going to use this material in it.  Did I tell you about the pictures they gave us?  They had about a dozen woodcuts which they bought from an artist in Barcelona, Spain.  They are prize winners and signed by the artist.  We took our pick of the bunch and selected two to hang in the dining room.  A woodcut is a picture cut into a block of wood and then stamped on paper.  They are usually done only in black (the color of the ink used) and white (the color of the paper).  These have been tinted, though and are very lovely.

Don't worry if our letter is late next week.  I haven't any idea how long Wheelers will stay, but they don't have to be back until the Wed. after Easter so they'll probably stay until next Sun. or Mon."

                     Lots of love,

                            Bonnie

NOTES:  For the Potato Doughnut recipe:  http://annbkennedy.blogspot.com/2012/08/september-22-1951-wonderful-weather.html

It wasn't until I first read this letter that I learned the origin of these block prints.  I never paid too much attention to them growing up; first in our dining room, then in the study, then in the living room.  



 Baked Salmon Cakes

Bring to a boil, 2/3 c. water, 1 T butter and 1/4 tsp. salt.  Add 3/4 c. instant potato flakes and 1/4 c. milk.  Stir well and set aside to cool.  Add 1 egg, slightly beaten, 1/4 c. chopped celery, 1 T minced onion (more, if desired) and 1 7oz. can salmon.  If desired, can add a small amount of horseradish or mustard as well.  Grease a 6 muffin tin well and sprinkle with cornmeal.  Fill with mixture and bake for 30 min. or a bit more at 400.  Serve with cheese sauce.

Macaroni & Beef Goulash

Brown 2 lbs. ground sirloin with 1/2 onion, chopped.  Add 1 c. ketchup, 2 T mustard, 1/8 tsp. Worcestershire sauce, 1/8 tsp. garlic powder and 1 15oz. can tomato sauce.  Add 1-1/2 c. uncooked macaroni and 3 c. boiling water.  Add salt and pepper to taste.  Reduce heat to low and simmer about 20 minutes, stirring frequently until the macaroni is tender.  Top with grated cheese and brown in oven briefly.  

Zesty Meat Loaf

Mix and refrigerate overnight:  1 chopped onion, 1/2 c. pitted olives, drained & chopped, 1 tsp. celery seed, 1 4oz. can green chili peppers, 1 c. dried bread crumbs, 1-1/2 c. spicy chili sauce or picante and 2 lbs. lean ground beef.  Shape into 2 loaves.  Bake @ 375 for 40-45 minutes.  

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Ann for including some old fashioned type recipes.
    I have saved these for later:o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Unknown, I am so sorry that I missed your comment! I appreciate it very much and I’m glad that you enjoy seeing the old recipes. They remind me of childhood time spent in the kitchen after school! Thanks again for writing.

    Best wishes,

    Ann

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!