Friday, September 7, 2012

December 1, 8 and 15, 1951 The Colds and Coughs, The Eggs, The Dryer and Planning for Christmas


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We just got home from a dinner at Mrs. Wells' (the woman who took Jim's place).  She is a widow and has a four year old boy.

Bobby has had a bad cold all week.  It is better now but he still coughs a lot.  Ann hasn't much of a cold but has the cough.

What did you finally get done about the chickens that the dogs killed?  You seem to be getting quite a bit for your eggs.  We give a student .58 for large ones.  She stays with Toni and brings us fresh eggs every week from home.  They are so nice and big.  The big eggs are .79 at the store.

I am afraid I can't suggest much for Christmas ideas.  B can always use ties and he likes pipes or tools.  Bobby will be pleased with most anything--cars, truck, building blocks.  We are getting him a truck with a steam shovel on it and a scooter.  We haven't decided what to get Ann yet.  She is hard to buy for at this age.

B completely surprised me with a Westinghouse clothes dryer.  So I already have my Christmas.  I was so thrilled because I really hadn't thought much about my Christmas.
Ladies Home Journal ad, Jan. 1950

Toni and I are going to give one another a permanent next week if we can find time.

You get together with B's mom and plan your Xmas dinners when you want them.  Anything you plan is all right with us.  We will probably stay with you at night.

Did Charlotte get her birthday package?  Hope you both are fine."

                  Lots of love,

                         Bonnie

December 8, 1951

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Ann was up bright and early so everyone else is asleep and it is still dark outside.  She has been sick this week but is all right now except for leftover cough.  The Dr. gave her penicillin on Sunday and again on Tuesday.  It was a sore throat.  Now Bobby is about sick with a cold.  It goes around and around.

We are hoping we can all be rid of colds soon.  It would be something if we didn't get to come home.  It doesn't seem possible that it could be so soon that we'll see you.  We haven't planned just when we'll come but probably Sat. or Sun. before Xmas.  We'll try to tell you just when in our next letter.

Bonnie's favorite Christmas tree lights still work. ("Something besides the usual red & green.")

We bought our Xmas tree yesterday and we'll put it up as soon as Bobby feels better so he can stay up a while after Ann goes to bed.

Ladies Home Journal, Dec., 1951

I have hardly been out of the house this week.  Ann was cross and had to be held most of the day.

Your letter didn't come yesterday and I haven't any news to write.

I had a letter from Charlotte or did I tell you that?  I was disappointed that Beulah didn't write a word.

Let's just hope the kids are all right so we can be home for Christmas.  We have two weeks in all so surely we can be home some of that time anyway."

                Lots of love,

                       Bonnie



December 15, 1951



Merry Christmas, Everyone! 

2 comments:

  1. It's never too early to start planning for the holidays, if you ask me. In fact, I've been known on occasion to take down my Halloween decorations on November 1st and promptly start putting up Christmas ones the very same day.

    I adore all of the wonderful vintage Christmas images and items in this post - my very favourite of which is the Toni ad from 1950.


    Wishing you an absolutely beautiful Friday, dear Ann,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Many thanks and good wishes to you and yours, Jessica! With apologies for such a terribly late reply to your thoughtful comment!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!