Friday, August 31, 2012

September 30, 1951 Probably Won't Get Far, Bobby Gets to Stay Up, The Grand Doughnuts, The Cheap Jonathans and Bonnie Plans a Suit

Good Housekeeping, October, 1951
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It is almost time for the kids to get up from their naps so I probably won't get far with this.  I didn't get it written last night.  I was too tired and had to iron a little but planned to go to bed real early.  Company came in so I didn't get much of anything done.

We had the new teacher (that took Jim's place) and two other couples here for dinner Thurs. night.  We had such a nice time.  I had ham and it was an easy dinner to get.  Marge took care of the kids all afternoon so that helped so much.  I put Ann to bed and let Bobby eat with the company.  He was awfully good.

Marge is coming tonight to stay with the kids while we go to a dinner.  Both of them have colds but I think she can manage them.  I don't have any student help now.  No one wants to work for .50 an hr.  They all want .75 and that seems too much.

I just finished my rust dress so I can wear it tonight.  Had to just sew buttons on the outside because I couldn't find time to make the button holes.  My attachment makes so much noise I hate to use it when the kids are asleep.

I made the doughnuts and they were grand.  I put the dough in the refrigerator and let them rise overnight.  They were fine and not hard to make at all.  I saved the recipe and will have them again one of these days.  That dough would do for cinnamon rolls, too.

We gave 2.25 for no. 1 Johnathan apples.  They seem cheap here.

I can't half write for fear Ann will get up before I get this finished.

B is at a football game.  He has some sort of job every game.  Course he likes to go, too.  He was gone all yesterday afternoon and this morning to conferences.  I can't keep track of it all.

Adult Education classes are beginning soon.  I think I'll take the tailoring class and make me a suit.

The article on the wedding was real nice.  I meant to say something about it and forgot it.

I hear Ann so bye for now."

                       Lots of love,

                             Bonnie

NOTES:   Not only did Bonnie enjoy sewing for her entire lifetime, she believed it was necessary in order to have exactly what she wanted in clothing.  In the 40s, she either sewed by hand or borrowed a machine from friends.  She once said, "The only trouble with sewing by hand is that it's so slow!"
I can still see her discovering something she wanted in a magazine, tearing out the picture, buying a pattern and adjusting it to get the desired look.  Sometimes she would make a dress merely by looking at a picture.  The blouse below is one she made in 1943.   One of the buttons is different,  there is a tiny patch under one sleeve where it was mended, and 2 tiny snaps hold the top closed. 

  

In the national news, during Truman's news conference of September 30, 1951, he was asked if he planned to run for president next year.  His response, "I know what I'm going to do, but I'm not going to tell you."
For the entire text:  http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=13918

2 comments:

  1. Doughnut dough does make for fantastic cinnamon buns. They're not quite as dense as some traditional recipes, but boy is it scrumptious.

    I sense that Bonnie and I would have hit it off wonderfully, as we seem to share many of the same interests (not the least of which is a love of writing letters).

    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, you would have enjoyed each other alot!

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!