Tuesday, July 3, 2012

July 9, 1949 A Nice Visit, Bonnie Wants a Hudson, The Automatic Washer and Sweeper and It's Too Hot



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Buddy, Bessie and Roger left only awhile ago.  They came yesterday afternoon and we had a nice visit.  It had rained here and was a bit cooler which helped a lot.  I baked a picnic ham and did most of the cooking the day before they came so I really didn't do much work.  Marjorie & Francis Jr. both had to work so they couldn't come.  Yes, I like their car.  The color is very pretty but I still would like to have a Hudson. 



Although we don't plan to move till the first of Aug., we are beginning to think of furniture.  We bought a new washer and sweeper this week.  The washer is not really new--was used 2 months--but looked like it and we got it for about $120. less than a new one.  It was luck that we found it (was $250. but $369. new).  The sweeper is a Lewyt--an upright tank type and like I have always wanted. 

Bobby breaks out terribly with the heat but sleeps and eats well, so I guess it isn't hurting him any.

There just isn't any news.  We haven't done anything interesting.  It has been too hot.  Hope you are both fine."

              Lots & lots of love,

                      B, Bonnie & Bobby

NOTE from Ann:  A new trend in British education emerged in the summer of '49.  See article below from Life, July, 1949.


In other news, Truman addresses a variety of topics in his news conference of July 7, 1949, and quips," A lot of people know more about what I'm going to do than I do", when asked about his plans to go to Europe, among other things.   http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=13236#axzz1zUXLH7Xq

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!