Friday, May 18, 2012

November 18, 1947 The Blustery Monday, The Lavish Fattening Midwestern Meal, The Forgotten Mother's Club and Baked Apples

The other lavish meal--Princess Elizabeth's wedding (www.royalcollection.org.uk)
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Monday again! And it is really a blustery one.  The wind is howling and it's real cold.  I think I told you that B was going up in Mass. to a meeting.  He said everything was covered with snow and just beautiful.  Dr. Richards had a cold so B went alone.  Since we didn't know the town or much about the plans for the day, I didn't even think about going although I would have enjoyed the ride.  It was about 100 miles so he left about 8:00 and got home about 6:30--sooner than we expected.  He had a very nice day.

Last night we went to Waggoners for supper and what a supper!  They are midwesterners and she cooks like one--lots of it and lots of variety.  They have a 5 room apartment and the rooms aren't too big, but there were 14 people there.  We ate at card tables after serving ourselves at the dining table.  The tables were set with silver and the other things--water, etc.  She had cold ham, baked apples, baked beans, potato salad, cottage cheese, bran muffins, all kinds of relishes like celery, carrot sticks, onions and then mustard, etc. and for dessert a half pear with whipped cream and chocolate cake.  We had coffee too--all we could drink and I had two cups so you know it was good.  It was certainly a lavish meal but I couldn't eat half what I wanted because everything she had was fattening.  This dieting is no fun.  I'm already planning what I'm going to eat after the baby comes.  It won't be long now.  Only about 7 weeks.  I go to Hartford this afternoon.  We finally found an unpainted chest of drawers at Sears--maybe I told you.  It will be fine when it's painted.

The faculty wives party was nice.  We just sat and talked after refreshments.  If nothing happens Aggie and I are going to the Berlin Mother's Club Wed. night.  They have speakers and I've been invited twice but forgot it last time.

We enjoyed the paper a lot.  I don't think I ever thanked you for sending the last one.

I guess I'll bundle up and go get the mail.  I finally got your letter on Monday."

               Lots of love,

                    B & Bonnie

NOTE from Ann:  In the news this week was the marriage of Princess Elizabeth.  Have a quick look:  http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/events/elizabeth_iis_wedding#p00frtlq
 

Baked Apples

Core 6 large Jonathan apples and cut a collar around the top.  Place in a ring mold.  Fill each apple with golden raisins.  Mix together and heat, 1/2 c. brown sugar, 1 T butter, 1/2 tsp. cinnamon, 1/2 tsp. nutmeg and 1/2 c. water.  Pour hot syrup over apples and bake till done.  Can top with candied walnuts or pecans if desired.  Serve warm with whipped cream.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!