Thursday, May 10, 2012

July 29, 1947 B Gets Restless, Bonnie Gets Jealous, The Quart of Milk, A Telephone At Last and Hyde Park


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Your letter came today and of course we were glad to have it.  The only mail we have had from home was a letter from Rosalynn but we had two today.  I thought you had probably been at Aunt Beatrice's.

I'm glad the basement for the house is dug.  That is a start at least.

B started back to work this morning. I know he was anxious to get busy again.  He was beginning to get restless.

CCSU Digital Library Collection (B's building)

My chigger bites are all gone and have been for a long time.  I'm feeling fine and can drink my quart of milk now.  I went to the Dr. last Tuesday and everything is fine.  On Wednesday we went to New Haven and I went to the dentist.  He said he would put a porcelain cap on that tooth for $50. and I'm going to have it done if Dr. January approves.  I'll have it done sometime but would like it done this fall if I can.  B and Gini went through the Yale Art Gallery while I was at the dentist and then we spent the rest of the day seeing the rest of Yale and New Haven.  We had a Chinese dinner which we all enjoyed.


At last we have a telephone.  They had been here twice while we were home and he came right out after B called to tell him we were here.  Our number is New Britain 706J.

Thursday afternoon we went to the beach and the ocean was so rough.  B and Gini had a wonderful swim and made me so jealous.  I enjoyed the sun, though.  We took our supper out one night.  Now that B is in school again it will be harder to go places except weekends.

Yesterday we left early and drove to Hyde Park.  It was a wonderful trip and I enjoyed it as much as our visit to Mt. Vernon.  The library is like a museum--filled with things that were gifts to Roosevelt from all kinds of people in all countries.  The grave is very impressive.  It is in a flower garden with a high hedge all around and such a peaceful spot.  The stone is snow white and its beauty is in its plainness.  The old house is far from beautiful.  The furniture is all so very old.  It all looks expensive and genuinely good but not pretty.  It certainly shows that it has been lived in and enjoyed.  Mt. Vernon was much more elaborate.  We got there early and the crowd was tremendous then.  By the time we left there were mobs of people.  I counted 18 chartered buses besides all the cars in the parking lot.

I hope you are all fine."

             Lots of love,

                    B & Bonnie

NOTE from Ann:  A special thanks to reader, GFred, for the great explanation of the phrase from yesterday's post, "paid for that pie with scratching".  Here it is:  Well, if it was a berry pie, as in wild blackberries or even raspberries, picking the berries invites chiggers. The berries may taste good. But you pay for the taste with itching chigger bites. Or even poison ivy.   
 
Blackberry or Blueberry Pie

Mash 1 of 4 cups fresh berries, mix with 1/2 c. sugar, or more to taste,  2 T cornstarch and 1/4 c. water.  Cook, stirring constantly to boil & then for 1 min. until thick & clear.  Cool, fold in rest of berries.  Whip cream to make 2 cups and spread 1-1/2 c. on bottom and sides of baked crust.  Put in fruit mixture and top with remaining whipped cream.  Chill thoroughly before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!