Saturday, May 19, 2012

December 1, 1947 The Flurry of Snow, The Grand Thanksgiving, The Practically Wholesale Radio and The Two Bathinetts

A Crosley AM/FM/Short Wave/Record Player available on ebay
Dear Mother & Daddy,


"It's really a snappy day but the sun is bright.  We've been having cold but wonderful weather and had a flurry of snow on Saturday.  When it started I thought I'd be wearing my new boots to walk in yesterday but it didn't amount to anything.  I've had boots for over two months but haven't needed them yet.


We had a grand day Thanksgiving and hope you did.  In the morning we washed the slip covers and now they look so nice.  At one o'clock we went to Richards' and then had dinner at 2:00.  We were the only ones there but they had turkey and all the trimmings.  He had cooked the turkey and it was so tender it just melted in your mouth.  They insisted that I eat more than I really wanted so I was very uncomfortable for awhile but it all tasted good to the last bite.  We came home about 5:00 and then went to Swann's to spend the evening. 


B had Friday off of course so we put the slip covers back on and just dawdled away the day.  Saturday we went to New Haven.  We did some Xmas shopping and unexpectedly bought our own Xmas present--a console radio and record player.  I had been hunting a gravy ladle like my silver and we went into a jewelry store.  They had a few radios and we started looking at them.  You remember we talked about buying one from Bob Parsons last summer.  We have been looking this fall and thought we might buy one from him for our Xmas present.  We never did find one that was really what we wanted so had given up the idea. The one we bought is a Crosley with FM, AM, 2 bands of short wave, push buttons and everything but television.  The cabinet is solid mahogany and very pretty--not fancy but still not too plain.  We got it practically wholesale for the store had had it a few months and couldn't sell it.  It was regularly priced $389.95 and we gave him $250.  There are no strings attached either.  He will take it back if we don't like it when it is delivered and set up.  It is coming in the morning and we can hardly wait.


I finally heard from the store about the bathinett but they sent me another wrong one.  Now we have two we don't want.  I'm so disgusted with them and am going to keep fussing till I get something done.


We have to go to Hartford again this afternoon and hope to have time to do some more Xmas shopping.  I would like to finish if I could.


Your letter didn't come today but probably will tomorrow.  Hope you're both fine."


             Love,


                B & Bonnie

NOTE from Ann:  On November 30, 1947, the UN partitions Palestine.  For good images and the coverage of the session by Alastair Cooke:  http://www.guardian.co.uk/theguardian/from-the-archive-blog/2011/may/27/guardian190-partition-palestine-alistair-cooke-1947

To hear some of the great radio programs of the 1940s:  http://1940s.org/otr-radio/

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!