Thursday, May 31, 2012

April 3, 1948 Another Crazy Day, The Long and Short of It, The Four Poster Crib and B Starts Lunch

                                       Laundry Day  (www.shorpy.com)

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Happy birthday, Mother.  You'll just about get this on your birthday but your package will probably be late.

This is another crazy day.  The sun is bright but there is a very cold wind and it is blowing like everything.  It has been snowing but has stopped now.  I got half way through hanging clothes out when the wind got so strong things started flying so I came in.  We may be picking up clothes all over East Berlin this afternoon.  B did the wash while I bathed and fed Bobby.  It takes most of my morning to get formula made and him cared for.  I couldn't leave him and go to the basement anyway, so B still does the laundry.



Bobby is getting real plump and is so sweet.   He is so different from Beulah's babies or Steve.  Beulah's babies were so short and plump but Bobby is so long.  He laughs and talks most of the time.  His hair is getting thicker but I can't see that it grows very much.  I keep watching to see if it is going to curl but I guess it's still too short to tell.

I went to church by myself last Sunday.  I didn't plan to go but the Easter music made we want to go and of course we couldn't both go.  The church was full and the flowers were lovely.  People wore winter clothes, though.  I finally finished my red dress and wore that.  It is really very pretty.  I haven't cut the grey one yet but hope to next week.  Sunday afternoon we went to the Swann's for a while.  Bobby was good as could be.

I am a hostess for the Faculty Wives meeting next Thursday.  I guess Alice will keep Bobby for me.  We had a committee meeting last Tues. and since the other girls didn't have cars and couldn't come out I had to go into New Britain.  B rode with Dr. Richards and left the car for me.  I put Bobby in the basket and we got along fine.


We went to look at a crib yesterday but it was too fancy--had 4 posters.  I want a plain one.  Bobby sleeps in the carriage now but really needs more room.

B has started lunch so I'd better go help.  Hope you are both fine and you'll have a nice birthday, Mother."

                  Lots of love,

                        B, Bonnie & Baby




NOTE from Ann:  In the news today, April 3, 1948, Truman signs the Marshall Plan, developed to provide 5 billion dollars of aid to 16 European countries for post-war recovery.  http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/marshall/mars3.html

To view the document itself and an interesting photo:  http://www.ourdocuments.gov/doc_large_image.php?doc=82                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!