Monday, April 2, 2012

October 27, 1945 Navy Day, The Ordinary Week and Mother May Faint



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I was a little surprised to get a letter today.  I thought you would be so fagged out you wouldn't be able to write.  You must have had an awfully nice time but I'm glad you are home again.

B is at Hopkins today.  It is a sort of holiday celebration.  They have a football game and then a dinner.  I could have gone but had to go to the dentist. It's a wonderful day but the leaves are almost all down now.

Yesterday there was no school because of the teacher's meeting.  I tried to work but didn't seem to get much done.

Today is Navy Day and there are supposed to be several big ships in New Haven Harbor.  We are planning on going to see them tomorrow.  There have been planes buzzing around all day.

Have you heard anything more about Francis Jr.?  I am so glad he wasn't on Okinawa.

This has been such an ordinary week that there just isn't anything to write.  We didn't even go out of the house last Sunday until after supper and then just to mail a letter.

You may faint when I tell you how much your afghan is going to cost.  I have used $9.00 worth and I think I'll have to buy a little more for the edging.  Altogether I have bought $19.50 but I don't intend for you to pay for it all.  I had no idea it would take so much but I have only a few scraps left out of the colors I used on yours.  I haven't even started mine yet, but it's a different pattern and I'm using only a few colors.  The blocks are all made for yours and I have some of them sewed together.  It is going to be good sized and real pretty.  I think the size will suit you.

I guess Beulah is about ready to move.  The time goes so fast I can't keep up with it.

I had better go wash the dishes so bye for now."

                                    Lots of love,

                                              B & Bonnie

NOTES from Ann:  Navy Day events were held in many harbors on Oct. 27, 1945, with New York City among the largest.  Truman's address on New York's Navy Day follows: 
http://www.ibiblio.org/pha/policy/post-war/1945-10-27b.html

Also in New Haven was the USS Plunger.  See explanation below.
Postcard image of USS Plunger (www.bluejacket.com)



"After her overhaul after her 5th War Patrol Plunger departed Pearl Harbor on 15 February 1945 for New London, to serve in a training capacity until 25 October 1945, when she reported to New Haven for the Navy Day celebrations. On 30 October, she reported to the Boston Navy Yard, where she decommissioned 15 November 1945. "(Quoted directly from www.pigboats.com)

Images courtesy of www.navysource.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!