Sunday, April 1, 2012

October 13, 1945 The Hometown News, The Car Doesn't Knock and Bonnie and Her Brother Want More Eggs

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"There must have been an awful lot of excitement in Richland the last few days.  We hadn't heard about Dr. Oliver till we got your letter today.  Did you ever hear the truth about the whole thing?

I spent all morning down town.  I had to go to the dentist and do a little shopping.  The trips to the dentist are getting awfully boring.  I think all the cavities are filled now but he is going to clean them and is still treating the front teeth.

We're having real fall days now.  The leaves are beginning to turn.  We went for a ride last Sunday in hopes of getting some nice pictures of the woods but it was so cloudy and rainy that we couldn't take them.

I'm so sorry about Arthur Watson getting killed.  He was a nice boy and his family certainly needed him.  Did you hear how it happened or any of the details?

Thanks for sending Francis Jr.'s address.  It's hard to know what to send him.  I've thought about him so much since the typhoon struck Okinawa.  I'll try to fix up a box for him in a few days.

We finally found a suit for B.  It is a brown tweed and looks real nice.  He won't have it till next Saturday because it takes so long for alterations.   The clerk said they were just swamped with work since so many soldiers are being released and need new clothing.  I bought a brown coat sweater today.  I never know whether this school will be hot or cold so I needed one to wear over short sleeved blouses.

Yes, we get all the gas we want and it is getting better, too.  The car doesn't knock nearly like it did.  B got a certificate this week for two new tires.  One of the old ones that he is turning in came on the car.  It has done its share of travel, don't you think?

Since B is teaching two more classes than he is expected to, he asked Dr. Lovell about the salary so they gave him $200. more.   It isn't much but it helps and we were glad to get it.  That makes $2200. he's getting.

I hope you all have a nice time at Aunt Jane's.  I know you will.

You can send us another case of eggs when you have them.  We still have a few from the last case and they are so good.  Bob and Hal always take some of them and they're always raving about how good they are.

I guess I'd better stop.  I'm going to wash this afternoon.  It's such a nice day.

This is the best envelope I have.

                                   Lots of love,

                                              B & Bonnie

I finally got around to sending the Journal today."

NOTES from Ann:   For details of the typhoon that hit Okinawa and inflicted serious damage, use the link:  http://www.history.navy.mil/faqs/faq102-6.htm

Arthur Watson was a classmate of Bonnie's. 


Arthur's prophecy from the RHS Yearbook, 1938

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!