Friday, March 2, 2012

June 17, 1944 Commencement 1944, The Grades, The Travel Plans and The Photo


Dear Mother & Daddy,


"I'm all rested up now but B still hasn't had a chance to stop working.  He had his last test Monday and is writing on his paper for the same class.  I've been typing on it most of the day and we want to finish it by next Tuesday.  When it is finished he will be through.  Graduation at Yale is next Thursday morning and I guess we'll go.  There are about 500 graduating but only about half will be here for the exercises.  The others are mostly in the armed services.

My picture came out in the paper but it was so terrible I didn't think it worth the walk to get an extra paper so I'll bring it when we come to show you.

My grades came yesterday from Teachers College.  I made all A's in the regular college work and a B in the extension course.  I was really thrilled because I was expecting only one A.

Finally I found some dresses.  I got a blue print crepe and a jersey dress.

B went to the depot to find out the particulars about our trip home.  We decided it would be easier to come on the train.  We can get a train from New Haven at 11:00 (morning) and be in Richland at 6:49 the next day (evening).  Our plans now are to leave here the 28th.  Then we'll see you on the 29th.  We'll write once more before we come and you write once more.  Don't send any more papers though.  Sometimes they are late and we don't want the mailbox full of papers.

Do you still get feed in printed sacks?  If you do I wish you'd save me some for a housecoat.  My old one is about worn out.

Since school has been out I haven't done much work.  I worked some and did some ironing but decided to clean when I get home in August.

Well, fatten up the roosters and we'll be seeing you.  Daddy, I hope you got your package and will have a very nice day tomorrow."

                                                     Lots of love,

                                                              B & Bonnie








                                                     

2 comments:

  1. Another winning post here Ann. Honestly, I MUST start at the beginning and read all of them one day as I am always intrigued by them. And shame on me for not doing so before now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Margaret! Someday I hope to start at the beginning and read through the whole thing as well:-) They really do make more sense, and create a "coming of age" story, when read chronologically, but can you believe that if you'd followed by email from the beginning you would have received an email a day for 1800 days. Ha! I'm not sure anyone should endure that! I'm so pleased that you found this letter interesting. Thanks again!

      Delete

I welcome your comments!