Thursday, March 15, 2012

January 20, 1945 The Stuffed Birds, Chapter Two Progresses, No Time for Time and The Bemberg

The scrap of Bemberg
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"At last we are having some sunshine and it isn't so cold.  This school semester was over Thurs. so there was no school yesterday.  The new semester begins Monday.  There hasn't been much going on except the same thing.

Our speaker at Dames this week talked about birds.  It was real interesting and he brought a lot of stuffed ones to show us. 

B has the second chapter of his dissertation almost done but we don't see any chance of his having it finished by March 1.  If not, we plan to stay here this summer so he can finish it.  I am thinking about going to summer school if we have to stay here next summer.  He had some application pictures taken this week.  They aren't too bad and he'll take them to the placement bureau at Yale.  They will send them with applications to any possible school jobs for next year.  It sounds pretty early to be doing that but that is the way it's done here.  It will probably be far into the summer before we know where he'll go from here.

Thanks for the stamps.  We have to be a little more saving with them now.

We are going to stop buying Time magazine for awhile because we haven't time to read it.  We'll send you the Life instead.  You needn't send all the Springfield paper to us. 

I took it upon myself to buy you some dress material, Mother.  It is such a beautiful piece of Bemberg that I couldn't resist it.  Last summer material was so scarce and the Bemberg was so stiff.  I was buying myself some crepe when I saw it and thought you would like it and I know it would be gone if I waited to write about it.  The clerks say that a bolt of material goes in one day.  It was $1.19 a yard and I got 3-1/2 yards.  If I can remember I'll send you a scrap of mine.

I hope Daddy is feeling better now.  We are both just fine.

Tonight we're going to a play at the Yale Drama school.  They are written and presented by students and Yale has turned out a lot of good playwrights.

Tell Beulah I'll write to her some of these days and I wish she'd write to me.  I owe so many letters now I'll never catch up.  Write soon."

                                       Lots of love,

                                               B & Bonnie

NOTE from Ann:  The Yale Drama School celebrated it 75th year in 2000.   Use link below for more information.

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/11/12/theater/theater-getting-personal-about-yale-s-drama-school.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!