Sunday, March 11, 2012

December 9, 1944 The Settlement of New Haven, A Little Excitement, The Gabby Tea Party and Cranberry Tea

West Battalion HQ, New Haven Fire Department (Courtesy www.cityofnewhaven.com)

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Your letter didn't come this week but I guess if you had teeth pulled you didn't feel like writing.  I hope you are both all right.

We mailed your Christmas package today.  The things aren't very nice but it's the best we could do.  No fair peeking till Christmas, though.  We have mailed all our packages now.

We had a real nice Dames meeting Wednesday evening.  A woman told us stories about New Haven when it was first settled.  I'm going to a Christmas party this Friday.

My teaching job is finished.  The people are giving up the school and are moving into New Haven.  It is a relief to know I'll have a little more time to myself.  I think B was real thrilled that it turned out the way it did.

We had a little excitement this week.  There was a fire in the apartment across the hall from us.  It was Thursday afternoon and I was home.  The first I knew of it was when I saw a fireman on our fire-escape.  They soon put it out and the water did all the damage.  There isn't much danger of fires in the apartment because our doors are metal and there is a fire escape from every apartment and one from each hall.

Last Sunday I went to the nicest tea party.  There were only six women so we had a gabby time.

We have tickets for plays this Saturday night and next Saturday.  After this week B will have a two weeks vacation at Hopkins.  Next Saturday they are having a dinner for the faculty and their wives so I guess we will go.

Take good care of yourselves and write soon."

                                       Lots of love,
                                           
                                               B & Bonnie

 NOTE from Ann:  For a little history of early New Haven, click the link below:
http://www.colonialwarsct.org/1638_new_haven_plan.htm

Cranberry Tea

Boil 1 qt. cranberries in 1 qt. water till very soft.  Drain through a sieve.  Add juice of 1 orange, juice of 1/2 lemon, 1/2 c. red hots and 1/2 c. sugar.   Stir till red hots dissolve.  Dilute with 3 qts. water.  Serve hot or cold.
                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!