Tuesday, February 28, 2012

May 6, 1944 Still Sewing, B Chooses a Topic and Lemon Filled Birthday Cake


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"The cake is in the oven so I'll take some time out and write you a bit.  We got your letter this morning.  It is almost like summer time here.  Everything is green, flowers are blooming and it has been awfully warm outside.


Yesterday I went to Caughlan's and sewed.  B took me at 8:30 and we got home after 10:00 so I really had my stay.  I got my dress all done except buttons and snaps.  We had a real nice time and she had a lovely dinner last night.  They are coming for dinner tomorrow.  I'm baking a white cake and will put lemon filling and divinity icing on it.

B has at last decided on his thesis.  He is writing on the philosophy of art in the elementary school.  They say there is a great deal to be done in that field so I guess he will have plenty to work on.  You will probably get a chance to read it if you want to.  Two copies have to be made for the school and he'll probably make a copy for himself.

I had a real nice letter from Grandma and one from Buddy this week.  Grandma is the only one that keeps me up on the family.  She always tells me where everyone is and what they're doing.

Next Sunday is Mother's Day.  I hope you have a very pleasant day, Mother, and I wish I could spend it with you, but I guess we'll have to make up for lost time this summer.  We can hardly wait till school is out.  We plan to come sometime around the first part of July--if everything works out as we plan.

Hope you are both feeling fine."

                                                           Lots of love,

                                                                       B & Bonnie

Bonnie's Best Birthday Cake  (She used the old recipe for basic white wedding cake from the Joy of Cooking.  This was my most requested birthday cake growing up.) Photo of the cake will be in the next post.

Preheat oven to 375.  Sift before measuring 3-1/2 c. cake flour with 4 t baking powder and 1/2 t salt.  Sift 2 c. sugar.  Cream 1 c. butter.  Add the sugar gradually and continue creaming until very light.  Add the flour mixture to the butter mixture in 3 parts, alternately with thirds of 1 c. milk.  Stir the batter until smooth after each addition.  Beat in 1 t vanilla.  Beat until stiff, 7 or 8 egg whites.  Fold them lightly into the cake batter and bake in 2 or 3 greased  round pans for about 25 minutes.  Cool, remove from pans.  Wrap until ready to assemble.

Lemon Filling (from the New Hood Cookbook, 1939)

Combine 1 c. sugar with 1/3 c. cornstarch, 1/8 t salt and then add 2 c. hot water.  Cook over low heat 15 minutes or until thick and clear.  Pour slowly over 3 beaten egg yolks, mixing well.  Add 1/3 c. lemon juice and grated rind of two lemons and cook 2 minutes longer, stirring constantly.  Stir in 2 T butter.  Cool filling completely before assembling cake.

Bonnie's Divinity Icing  (I never saw Mom use a recipe for this icing.  She just made it. The closest thing to what she called divinity icing, would be a traditional 7 minute frosting, although it is a bit more moist than the divinity I remember.)  The recipe below is also from the New Hood Cookbook.

Seven Minute Frosting

Place 2 egg whites, 1 c. sugar, 1/8 t cream of tartar, 1/8 t salt and 1/4 c. water in upper part of double boiler.  Beat until frothy.  Place over simmering water, and beat with rotary beater seven minutes or until light and firm.  Remove from heat.  Add 1/2 t vanilla and continue beating until frosting is cool and will hold its shape. 

NOTE: The clipping pictured above was with the letter, without explanation.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!