Sunday, January 29, 2012

January 22, 1943 Heraldry, The Chinese Restaurant and Shortages


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"B has gone to class but it's about time for him to be back.  I have been typing a test for him to give to his class tomorrow.  He has been so busy he hardly has time to turn around.

Last night I went to the Dames and we had a lovely time.  Our speaker was a minister from Branford, Conn.  His talk was on heraldry which is his hobby.  Maybe you don't know what that is because I didn't, but it's the study of different coat-of-arms and how they are formed.  It was certainly interesting.  We are still planning our dinner for Eleanor.  I haven't done anything to the dress yet, but the Dames are having another dance Feb. 20 so I tried it on the other day and it looks real nice, so I'm going to fix it up to wear.

My boss promised to take the girl that sold the most, last week, to lunch and I was the lucky one.  She took me yesterday and we had such a good time.  We went to a Chinese restaurant called the "Chung King".  I had Chow Mein and she had Chop Suey.  The service was really fancy and we first had soup, then the Chow Mein, bread & butter, and then dessert and coffee.  The cafe was really Oriental.  The wall paper was black with Chinese women and umbrellas in bright colors, all over it.  The tables were covered in red and the waiters were all Chinese.

Things are becoming more difficult to get every day.  Hair pins are a thing of the past.  Our coffee ration is plenty for us.  We get most anything we want in cans, but meat is hard to get.  B got a pound of bacon last week and we felt like kings.  He couldn't get any fresh meat today so we had lunch meat tonight.

Bonnie's hair pin box, 1940.

We got a letter from Grandma, Monday, but I haven't had time to answer it yet.  I had better stop because it's bedtime and I have to read my Bible.  I didn't read it last night so I have to do double tonight.  I'll write again Sunday or Monday."

                                                 Lots and lots of love,
                                                               
                                                              B & Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!