Monday, January 30, 2012

February 11, 1943 Not Much News, Volumes from Home and The Army

B's brother, Horace
Dear Mother & Daddy,

"There just isn't any news but I guess any kind of letter is better than none.  We got your letter Monday--got one from Bessie, too.  Horace and Mabel's volume came Monday, too.  I say volume because they write about every 3 or 4 weeks but it's just like a book when they do write.  In every letter they write they ask me to live with them if B has to go to the army.  Some of the officers at the hospital told Horace that all of the civilians working at the hospital might as well be in the army so Mabel thinks he will have to go and wants me to live with her and Stevie.  That would be all right if I went to school or even worked in Springfield.  My boss told me that if B had to go to the army and got settled in a certain place for any length of time I could probably go right into one of the Wheelan studios, because they are all over the United States.

The tablecloth is growing steadily.  I now have 29 blocks and I just have 216 to make.  Ha!  I really enjoy doing it even if it is slow.

How's your shoe supply?  I'm really glad I  bought my gold sandals sometime ago.  I'm well "shoed" right now and I guess my 17 coupon will buy my spring shoes.

B's sister-in-law, Mabel
Write real soon."

              Lots & lots of love,

                     B & Bonnie



NOTE from Ann:  During the next week, B & Bonnie learned that they must go to Jefferson Barracks, near St. Louis, for B's physical.  As per the recommendation of his advisors at Yale, B kept his registration in Missouri, and therefore had to go there for the draft physical.  Not knowing what the result would be, they packed all of their belongings, loaded the car, turned in their apartment keys and headed for Missouri on about February 15.  No letter was written that week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!