Wednesday, January 25, 2012

December 3, 1942 Thinking Christmas, Blackout Regulations, Mince Pie and Fudge


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It really is cold tonight and the wind is blowing furiously.  It snowed a tiny bit last Saturday.  Monday was a beautiful sunshiny day so I got my washing all done.  I had Monday morning off to do Xmas shopping.  Each of the girls got a half day off.  Thanks for sending the lights.  We're going to get a real small tree and I have bought a few ornaments.

Sunday we went to church and meant to go to the museum in the afternoon but it rained so we couldn't go.  I made a mince pie and B made some fudge.
I got my transcript from Teachers College in Springfield and am going to have to go see if this college will accept my credits.  The new term begins Jan. 4.

B is going to give a test tomorrow night to some of the YMCA boys and will get $4 or $6 for the work depending upon how long it takes to give it.

We have new blackout regulations.  All blinds have to be 3/4 of the way down when any light is on and no light can be directly in the window.  Headlights have to be covered 3/4 with tape or black paint.

There isn't any news so I'll write again soon."

Lots of love,

       B & Bonnie



Mince Meat (from The New Hood Cook Book, 1939)

2 lbs. seedless raisins, 3 lbs. currants,  washed, 3 lbs. beef suet, chopped, 2 lbs. brown sugar, 1/2 lb. candied peel, mixed, 1 cup brandy, 1 teaspoon nutmeg, 2 lbs. cooking apples, 1-1/2 lbs. lean chopped beef, juice and grated rind of 2 lemons and 1-1/2 cups water.


Mix ingredients well, except brandy, and simmer 1 hour.  Cool, add brandy and keep in tightly covered stone crock.  Should be allowed to ripen 2 weeks.  Approximate yield:  1-1/2 gallons mincemeat.

And Mince Meat from the Fannie Farmer Boston Cooking School Cookbook, 1924


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!