Tuesday, November 3, 2015

March 4, 1972 The Birthday, The Pussy Willows, The Slides, The Violets and The Quilts

Dear Mother,

"Thanks for the lovely card and check. It was the first one I had and now I have a big stack. I bought some beads with my money so I'll enjoy it a long time. My birthday started out cloudy and windy but real warm, but before the day ended the freezing rain & snow were blowing and it was a terrible night. So I guess March came in like a lion. We had one spring day when I opened the front door. It was just wonderful but it is cold again.

The pussy willows are opening but I haven't cut any yet. The one day when it was nice enough to cut them everything was so muddy I didn't dare walk across the yard. Maybe I'll get some tomorrow if the day is nice.

Some of our friends are going to Japan in May so we had them here last night to see some of our slides. It was fun to look at them again and remember the good time we had. These people are going with a tour group. I don't have my dishes put away yet but have them all washed. It was too late to do them last night after the people left & I just went to bed. I used my Japanese dishes so our friends could see them and they can't be put in the dishwasher. I hadn't used them in a long time and tend to forget how pretty they are until I get them all set out on the table.

This morning I spent a long time potting some violets. I have two that are just blooming beautifully. They are so pretty but both are lavender. I had a pink one that bloomed once and I hope I still have it but won't know unless I can get it to bloom. Maybe the new soil will help.

The cat will be back one of these days. They always wander in the spring so he may be gone a long time. We have seen "our" rabbit in the back yard several times but it seems awfully cold for her to be building a nest. She has a nest of little ones every spring in our yard. One time it was right in the middle of the front yard but she usually nests near an old stump in the back.

I thought you'd be starting another quilt before long. I don't think you can ever do the one I gave you with all the different colors. I got it out one day to start and it is going to be very hard to do. I'll have to follow a chart for the whole quilt. I'll get you something else in place of it one of these days. I had intended to get a round table cloth when I was in Chicago but couldn't find one. Sometimes they have them made of dacron & cotton to embroider and I'd seen them advertised but they were out by the time I got there. This cross-stitch quilt I'm working on is going to take me five years to do. There is so much work on it. If my quilting lady doesn't call soon I'm going to see her. She hadn't called Audrey either so I don't think she skipped my name on her list. She may have been sick, too, for she's pretty old.

I hope we can come home Easter weekend but we can't plan yet. B is supposed to have Good Friday off but this president we have sets up meetings any old time so we can't plan anything much. Anyway, if we could come on Good Friday we'd have to start back early Sunday so go ahead and plan your Easter. We'll have to be driving home that day but it would be better than not getting to come. I think I have plenty of wool to finish my quilt but you can take your time about doing it.

I hope you're having a bit of spring."

                      Much love,

                           Bonnie

NOTE: A few of Dad's slides from Japan below:




No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!