Sunday, April 5, 2015

October 22, 1967 Another Beautiful Day, The Terrible Apples, The Three Ring Circus and The Pickled Green Tomatoes


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It's another beautiful day but it is cold. We bought our last basket of tomatoes this morning but they aren't too nice.

Ladies Home Journal Cookbook, 1960
If I can get outside before dark I'm going to pick all the little green cherry tomatoes & pickle them if there are enough. I did all of my cleaning yesterday for a change but haven't been able to get much of anything done today.

I did get two apple pies made but it took twice as long as it should have. The apples were given to me and looked so good on the outside but were terrible.

Marjorie wrote about our coming to her house for Christmas but I don't see how we can. Things get so complicated around here at Christmas with Ann doing everything at school & church and Bob coming home. It's like a three ring circus. I would certainly like to see Marjorie & Roger's house. You & Daddy make plans to go for I'm sure Beulah wouldn't care. Roger has that week off so just let him come for you & bring you back.

Ann got her acceptance from William Woods this week. We are all very glad that is settled but we haven't sent the final deposit back yet. That has to be done within 30 days. Several other girls are getting interested in Wm. Woods now and have been borrowing her catalogs.

Bob seems to be enjoying his work (I mean school work) and is beginning to guess what grades will be. I think he's working a little harder this year. At the same time, he's looking for a better school and talking about transferring at the end of the year. He'll have to make up his mind as to where it will be and has been writing to some other schools for information. He and Pat have been invited to Richmond for Thanksgiving. Pat's cousin lives there. She has lots of relatives in Virginia so we had supposed that some of them would invite them for that day.


The mimosa still has the leaves on it but many of the trees are bare. One of these days I'll have to wrap it but I want to wait until the weather stays cold.

What color drapes did you order for the bedroom? I'd really like to have new ones for my bedroom but would like to make them. I won't get around to that until these fall apart probably.

So very 60s!

I'd better stop & go get the green tomatoes before the sun goes down. They may not even be any good but I want to see.

Hope you both are fine."

                             Lots of love,

                                  Bonnie

2 comments:

  1. They are for sure and I sort of really like them, especially the printed drapes on the left. Both of my grandparents' houses still had strong 60s decor elements when I was very young (and my maternal grandma's still does to this day), including lots of colours like harvest gold, olive green, and terracotta orange, so when I see them in older ads and other images, I can't help but feel nostalgic for those days of my youth. My paternal grandparents updated their decor big time as the 90s rolled into town, but at the time they still lived in a house that was build around 1960 (I don't know the exact year off hand) and so there remained structural elements of the decade at play still. They've since moved (about 15 years ago now) and their new abode is far more modern, but I can still go to my other grandma's house for a great hit of 60s decor. :)

    Thinking of you and sending countless happy Easter wishes your way, dear Ann!
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love going into a home and seeing remnants of the 60s, particularly in the homes of older relatives & friends who just never changed things! It's somehow very reassuring. Thanks so much for your comment and your sweet email. Thinking of you and yours and wishing for the best to come.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!