Thursday, June 26, 2014

March 30, 1963 The Bushel of Ironing, The Last Candidate, The Designer Fabrics and The High Winds



Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I don't know where this week has gone.  I've done a lot this week but can't see much to show for it and still have a bushel of ironing that needs doing.

B got back from Chicago with Jim about 11:30 Sunday night.  I was asleep but got up and we talked a long time.  It was so nice to have him here but we wish Evelyn could have come.  Their school was on vacation so there wasn't anyone they could leave the kids with.  B and Jim were on the go constantly and we invited people to come in to see him Monday night so all of us were pretty tired when he left Tuesday morning.  He was real impressed with the school but I don't know whether they'll offer the job to him and invite him back or whether he'd accept if they did.  The last candidate for the job is here today & then the committee will have to make a decision.  B hopes they'll do it soon & have the job done with.

We have had some beautiful spring days with a little snow thrown in but the grass is green & plants are coming up everywhere.

One of the stores had a sale of designer fabrics (cottons) this week and I got five pieces for Ann's dresses.  I could have bought all the pieces they were so pretty but they were 79¢ and 89¢ a yard & it counts up so fast.  She needs dresses but I don't know when I can get to sewing on them.  She has to put dresses or skirts on every evening while she's at camp.  I want to get my suit done or it will be too hot to wear the way spring is starting.  It has been too hot for a suit today but is raining now so it may be cold tomorrow.

I've been working on an article on allowances this week.  The magazine I sent it to had liked it but wanted some things added.  Now, I hope they'll buy it.

The book review for "As You Like It" Club this week was The Inheritors and real interesting.  It was the story of the big money families & how they got their money & used it.  The Carnegie family seemed to be the only respected one in the whole book of Hearsts, Rockefellers & all the familiar ones.

I hope Marjorie does go on to the Orient.  She's already a good part of the way. Did she mean Hong Kong and Japan, too?

We've been having high winds lately & the firemen must be about run down. There were 12 runs to grass fires last Saturday.  I don't know what people are thinking of when they start them on a windy day.  I guess these warm days make people want to clean up their yards.

We haven't heard from B's mother this week but suppose she is still in Kansas City.  Granny was 100 years old last Monday & they had a party for her on Sunday.  We had a letter from Uncle John but of course, we couldn't go.  We sent some flowers for there isn't much you can send her.



I got out some of last year's clothes last night but almost all of them need something done to them.  It wouldn't take long to fix them if I could just get at it.

It's about time to take Ann for a piano lesson & I have to get supper going first. I have scalloped potatoes in the oven and I expect they need stirring a little.

Hope you both are fine."

                   Lots of love,

                           Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!