Tuesday, October 29, 2013

November 29, 1958 The Quiet Thanksgiving, The Plain Ridiculous Price, The Talk and The Rolling Rice Cakes


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Winter has really come to us now.  We got up yesterday and there was a good snow on the ground.  The kids were dressed and outside before we even thought about getting up.  It snowed all morning but not hard.  Storm warnings were out everywhere but we didn't get much out of it.  Most of it was south of us so we went to Peoria yesterday afternoon.  We did a tiny bit of shopping.  I guess grass is always greener on the other side of the fence but we can do as well in Bloomington as any place.  Everything is too high everywhere.  We looked for Ann a coat and there wasn't anything less than $20.  That is plain ridiculous.

I'm so sorry about Mrs. George but at least, she didn't have to be sick a long time.

We had a nice, quiet Thanksgiving alone.  There weren't even any kids running in and out.  Maybe I told you we wrote to Wheelers after you said you couldn't come.  They couldn't come so we asked some people here.  They were going to Joliet so I quit asking and we ate alone.  We had a little turkey with the trimmings including our best china and crystal.  That's the way the kids wanted it.

I had planned to get a lot done this week but I was asked to give a talk on Monday to a college class on Japanese children's stories so I spent the first part of the week working on that.

I knew I couldn't work on it with the kids home & their vacation began Wed. noon.  Toni was here, just visiting, Wed. morning so I just had Mon. & Tues. to work but the class doesn't meet till 3:00 Monday afternoon & I just hope no one comes Monday morning.

I finally got a letter from the Japanese china company.  They don't even know what kind of china I bought--apparently they don't keep records like that.  But they'll give me a price if I send them a sketch, or better yet, a plate.  I'm not going to send them a plate but when we're home at Xmas I'll sketch a plate.  I used to have an illustrated folder from them but threw it away.  Maybe we'll get some prices from them by next Xmas.

I want to write to Buddy & Bessie so had better stop."

                    Lots of love,

                             Bonnie









No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!