Friday, September 20, 2013

February 1, 1958 The Cold, The Extra Work, The New Joke and Hunting for a Groundhog


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We have been filling out income tax returns so while B is finishing that I'll start my letter.  I haven't done much this week except clean the basement.  I thought I was over my sore throat but it hit me harder than ever and I've had a terrible cough.  It's better now, though and luckily I haven't had to be out except for piano lessons.  The kids have a recital in the morning.


B has been working extra hard since the beginning of a new semester means lots of extra work.  He has gone back after supper two nights and will probably work all day tomorrow.

Bobby's room is practically done and the men have started on Ann's room.  It looks real nice.

This is Sat. and the kids are watching T.V.  We just came from their recital and the sun is so bright.  It is terribly cold but we didn't get the big snow that St. Louis & other places got.

Bob wants to go hunting for a groundhog tomorrow.

I feel much better today and am not coughing so much.  I guess I'm getting this cold licked at last.

I'm co-hostess for a potluck supper next week for faculty women.  There will be only about a dozen in each party and they are having 6 or 8 suppers next week.  This is the first time I've ever gone but they have them every year.  Maybe I will be a hostess next year.

We've been laughing at a new joke.  A little boy had been real naughty and his mother said, "Just how do you expect to get into heaven when you act like that?"  The little boy said, "I'll just run in and out, in and out and every time I'll slam the door real loud.  Finally St. Peter will yell, "For heaven's sake, kid, either come in or stay out."

That's about all that's new so bye for now."

                        Lots of love,

                                Bonnie

NOTE:  Second only to her desire for world peace our mom wanted someone to find a cure for the common cold.  There were certainly plenty of supposed remedies, as there are today.  The ads pictured are all from Life, Jan. 15, 1958, among about a dozen in this issue.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!