Tuesday, July 16, 2013

July 29, 1956 Dirt, Paint, Green Tomatoes, An Art Demonstration and A Puppet Show


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Summer seems to be making up for its lost hot days.  The last two have been miserably hot.  It is hard on us since this summer has been so pleasant.  I had been wanting the rain to let up so I could get my dirt but rain would look good now.  We have had to water the young grass.

It has taken all week to get the dirt fixed.  I got it Monday and there was too much for the patio so we have had to fix a place for the rest and then move it.  B finally helped me finish it last night.  We wanted some extra dirt to fill in spots around the drive where it keeps settling.  We leveled the fill in the patio and tramped it down.  The sun has baked it all day and I'll water it down tonight.  It will be a week or so before I can lay any brick.  I'd like to get it done but would hate for the dirt to settle under it and make it rough.

B and Watty have been painting the trim on the house and hope to finish tomorrow.  Watty always eats his supper with us since they never stop at any regular time.  Toni took Bob and Ann one afternoon and kept them thru supper.  That helped a lot.


Today I've been working inside the house but have barely started to clean.  I don't move very fast when it is so hot and am about run down for the week anyway.  Next week I have to spend more time on the inside but once I get started working in the yard I haven't sense enough to stop.  I really enjoy it.

Did I tell you we have green tomatoes on our plants?  The peppers are coming on too.

We feel we have really accomplished a lot this week.  Our neighbors tore down the old rotten fence that was such an eyesore.  They are going to plant peony bushes there and that will be beautiful.  Even with the fence out and the weeds cut it looks so much better.  Our lots are real low there and together we'll fill it in a bit next spring.

I'm so glad that Aunt Beatrice has a phone.  I wish Beulah could have one too, but at least you can visit with Aunt Beatrice now.

The receipt has come back from my registered letter to the agent so I know she got my letter.  I hope, if I even get my manuscript back, that I can sell it to someone.  At least, I would like to try.

This has been the shortest summer school I can remember.  Next week we'll be busy.  I have to go to school with Ann on Monday for her report (conference).  Bob is to take part in an art demonstration Tuesday and I'd like to go to that.  Ann's room is having a puppet show on Wed. with refreshments.  She has to take an egg to school as her part of the cookies they are going to make.

Do you know when Buddy will be in Richland?  I wish we could be home at the same time for a few days, anyway.  We have not planned when we will come but we'll have to finish a few jobs first.

I hope it isn't as hot there as here.  Don't work too hard when it is hot."

                        Lots of love,

                               Bonnie

Life, May 21, 1956

NOTE:  The 1956 Olympics were held for the first time in the Southern Hemisphere and were also shared by Sweden.  Because quarantine laws were too strict in Australia to allow entry of foreign horses into the country, the equestrian events were held in Stockholm.  Large scale efforts by advertisers to encourage consumers to buy their products and save boxtops were underway through the spring and summer months in order to fund American athletes.  For more information and some great photos of the events, use the link below.

http://www.olympic.org/melbourne-stockholm-1956-summer-olympics

1 comment:

  1. The information on the Olympic Games held in Australia is really Interesting. I didn't know that about the Stockholm Melbourne connection either.
    Thanks Ann

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!