Thursday, May 24, 2012

February 10, 1948 Wrapped Up in the Baby, Snow from Somewhere and The Young and Patient Doctor

Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Beulah's letter came this morning and I'm so sorry Daddy is sick.  I hope he's better now so you can enjoy your new home.  It's wonderful that you are moved at last and Beulah says the house is beautiful inside.  B's mother and Rosalynn both had written how nice it was.  I've been so wrapped up in the baby I haven't had time to think about much else. 

My letter last week was late because B forgot to mail it and of course I had no way to get it mailed.  We're awfully busy people since Bobby came and B has to shovel snow almost every morning.  Seems like it snows every night.  I don't know where it comes from.



We can almost see Bobby grow and he gets sweeter every day.  He laughs when we talk to him.  We took him to the baby doctor Friday and he had gained 12 oz. in a week.  Changing to the formula didn't bother him at all.  He is such a good baby--aren't we lucky?  I think I'm going to like this Dr. as well as Dr. January.  He is young and so very patient.  A lot of the faculty women take their children to him.



I really got my work done early for Bobby is an early riser--up and ready for breakfast at 5:00 this morning.  I still don't do any hard or heavy work although I'm sure I could.

Bobby has received so many presents I can't remember what I've told you about.  The little boy upstairs brought him a pair of blue pique shoes yesterday and Dot sent him a pair of yellow overalls.

Take good care of yourselves and don't try to do too much at once in the house."

               Love,
     
                    B, Bonnie & Baby

NOTE from Ann:  In Eleanor Roosevelt's' My Day entry of February 10, 1948, she comments on local activities which she believed provided background for support of post war European recovery and humanitarian assistance through the Marshall Plan and the UN.  See:  http://www.gwu.edu/~erpapers/myday/displaydoc.cfm?_y=1948&_f=md000885

In other news, Truman had recently addressed Congress on civil rights.  His proposals were not generally well received in the South as one example below shows:  

For a good review of Michael R. Gardner's  Harry Truman and Civil Rights: Moral Courage and Political Risks:
http://www.h-net.org/reviews/showrev.php?id=6354

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!