Tuesday, April 17, 2012

June 1, 1946 Breathing Easier, The Apartment, A Bird in the Hand, No Finer View and Happy Family News


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"At last, thank goodness, we can breathe a little easier.  That baby has worried me almost to death.  I'm so glad it's a boy since they wanted one but I would have been glad with either as long as Beulah is all right.  I will be anxious now to hear how she gets along and how long she has to stay in the hospital.  Did they have a name picked out and how much did he weigh?  Don't forget any of the details when you write next week--his hair and who he looks like and everything.

I can hardly wait for August to come.  We've had a few real summer days and it sure makes one anxious to come home.  Some of the days have been real wintry this week and it's cloudy again today.

We are all moved but not unpacked completely.  It is real comfortable here.  The rooms are big enough for two rooms really.  Just to give you an idea of the size of this bedroom I'll tell you what we have in it and there is still loads of room.  We have 2 double beds (one was here), 2 chests of drawers, an oversize dresser, study table and two chairs.  The living room is just as big but in an L shape so I'm going to fix one end into a dinette.  There was a couch here too so we'll have two in the living room.  It looks real nice.  We use the refrigerator in the school kitchen.  There is a big storage room off our bath which is real handy for our boxes and there is a small room back of the kitchen.  The kitchen has lots of shelves and cabinets built in.  The whole thing needs a good paint job and Dr. Lovell said last week that it will be decorated for us unless they have to use the rooms for classrooms next fall.  There is no elevator but the stairs are wide and our rooms have lots of windows.  It isn't an attic apartment.  I don't like the idea of the third floor but when I think about that rent money we're saving it makes up for it.

We both have two weeks of school to this semester.  Then I will have two weeks vacation before summer school.
There is still lots of bread here but you have to go to the store early.  It is the same way with meat.  I have been out of laundry soap for the first time this past week.  It just isn't to be found.  I washed clothes in palmolive till I found some ivory here at the school.

As far as we know we're going to stay at Hopkins next year.  B isn't looking for any other job and we aren't going to.  It would just be a chance if he got any other offers.  We certainly feel lucky about finding a place to live.  One of these days we'll send you some pictures of the views from our windows. There is no finer view in New Haven.  We can look right over he tree tops all over New Haven and out to the sound.  The school sits on a hill and on a clear day we can see Long Island.

You probably have the Journals by now.  I have a new one now for June if you want it.  Maybe you have seen the sweater I made.  I was real proud of myself.  My teacher thought it was fine for a beginner.

Virginia Rose
We're going down town this afternoon to do some shopping.  We got a wedding announcement from one of B's cousins and Virginia Rose has graduated and Dorothy Rae is being married June 17.  There are three gifts we will buy.  It is hard enough to imagine Virginia R. graduating much less Dot getting married.  Everyone is certainly happy about it, though.

Give Charlotte a big hug for me and write soon."

                     Lots of love,

                              B & Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!