Saturday, March 31, 2012

September 29, 1945 Looking for Tweed, The Cold, The Dames Need To Get On It and An Awful Silly Thing

Tweed, but not B (www.details.com)

 Dear Mother & Daddy,

"This is only Friday but we intend to go to New York tomorrow and I knew there wouldn't be time to write in the morning.  We're going to drive down so Bob & Hal are going with us.  I may get a suit if I can find one I like or a skirt and sweater.  I want a tweed suit for school and B is going to look for a suit.  He thinks he wants a tweed too.

There hasn't been much happening this week except school.  We leave the house at 8:00 and I get home around 4:00 and B comes soon after 5:00.  I have a cold and stayed home a day and a half.

Last Sunday we took a ride late in the evening.  The weather has been awfully gloomy.  It isn't cold but just cloudy and dark.

The yarn came and I have used a little of it.  There isn't much time for me to crochet now seems like.

A new Ladies Home Journal came today.  I'll send it to you in a few days.  It seems like it is a lot bigger than it has been.

Your letter will come tomorrow as it usually does but it seems so much harder to write before I get it.  Seems like it's just like talking to you when I answer a letter.

We're expecting Bob and Hal.  They said they would be over for a little while this evening.

The Dames are still trying to elect a president.  There was to be an election Wednesday night but that was the night my cold started so I didn't go.  I want them to hurry up and elect someone because I still get letters that I have to answer.  I answered three this week.  There seems to be lots of new students coming this year.  A lot of them are servicemen coming on the G.I. bill.

The day I was home sick I did an awful silly thing.  I went out after the mail and locked myself out and had no key.  The worst part was that I had on my pajamas and robe.  The woman upstairs crawled in one of my windows and opened the door for me.  I don't know what I would have done if my neighbors hadn't been home.

Are the mums out yet?  I always wish I had some of them.

Hope you are both fine."

                                  Lots of love,

                                            B & Bonnie

NOTE from Ann:  The October, 1945 edition of the Ladies Home Journal included a lengthy article by B.F. Skinner, Baby in a Box, in which he described his "labor saving invention" in an attempt  to improve the ease of caring for his infant daughter.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CCoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uni.edu%2F~maclino%2Fcl%2Fskinner_baby_in_a_box.pdf&ei=O7x0T82WBMHg2gWDwZnjDg&usg=AFQjCNEz2_iQYxUVHZh8t173MLlMjQz4PA&sig2=bljAg1uH4arZwGc43fE7HA

For a brief description and photo of Skinner's infamous "air crib", see below:
http://www.psychologicalscience.org/index.php/publications/observer/2010/september-10/skinner-air-crib.html


For advice on treating a cold:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!