Thursday, March 1, 2012

June 10, 1944 The Invasion, The Poorly Made Dresses, The Tea Sandwiches and The Poem


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"Well, the invasion is on.  We first heard about it right after breakfast and it was awfully hard to leave the radio and go to school.  Everyone was talking about it but everything was quiet.



Some church chimes were sounded at first and many people went to church.  Cars were thick around the Jewish synagogue which is not far from here.  You know Sully is Catholic and teaches in the fifth grade.  When I asked him what they did in his room on D-day he said they prayed like H_LL.  I believe everybody prayed that hard, though.


I'm glad you told us where all the boys are.  We wonder about all of them.  Do you know where Joe is?  I guess you never heard since his dad died.

Today is a cold, rainy day but I guess everyone is glad to see the rain.  Everything was getting pretty dry.

School is out at last.  It seems so nice to know I don't have to go back on Monday.  I won't get my grades for several days but I'm anxious to see them.


I guess this month will go by pretty fast.  I have so many things planned to do.  It seems I can't find any dresses to suit me.  They are made so poorly that I'm going to rent a machine from Singer and make me some.  I can rent one for $3. weekly or $5. a month.  I'm going downtown and look for material today.

Sully is here.  He came late last night and is going home this afternoon.

I went to a Dames party Tuesday and Wednesday afternoon I went to a tea.  It was in the yard and we had iced tea, sandwiches and cake.  As far as we know my picture hasn't been in the paper yet.  We don't get the morning paper but I don't think it has been in it.  As soon as we see it we'll send you one.

B called the station and we don't have to have reservations.  It may be that we'll come on the bus.  We haven't decided yet just how we'll come or what day we'll start, but we'll try to arrange it so we won't have to be on the way too close to the fourth.

We had an announcement from Ruth and Chas. today.  They have a little girl, Carole Anne."

We're planning to see you soon."

                                                   Lots & lots of love,

                                                             B & Bonnie



Bonnie's Tea Sandwiches

Deviled Cheese:  Mix together 1/2 lb. cream cheese, 1 tsp. minced fresh onion, 3 diced pimentos, 4 T. mayo., 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped, 1/4 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. paprika.  Chill thoroughly.

Cucumber sandwiches:  Mix together 1/2 lb. cream cheese, 1/4 c. each minced onion, carrot, green pepper and celery.  Add 1/2 tsp. salt.  Spread on small bread circles.  Top with thin cucumber slice.  Garnish before serving.

Ripe Olive Filling:  Mix together 3 oz. cream cheese, 1/2 c. finely chopped ripe olives, 1/2 c. finely chopped green pepper, a dash of garlic salt and a dash of French dressing.

NOTE: Listen to Roosevelt's address to the nation on June 6, 1944.

                                                             

6 comments:

  1. Wonderful post Ann! I love the photos and the audio of Roosevelt's address. I always find these letters so interesting, just to have a peek into what people felt at that time and the window into their daily lives. Thank you so much for sharing them:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Pam! Sometimes I feel like the letters are extraordinary in their "ordinariness".

      Delete
  2. Splendid remembrance of D-Day and the very human voices experiencing it and the everyday consequences. Thanks so much for posting. I thoroughly enjoyed. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much for your thoughtful comment about the letter, Betty. I'm glad you enjoyed it!

      Delete
  3. You already know how much I enjoy your mother's letters. Each one I read thrills the History Buff in me for the knowledge of the "every day" they give us. And I have come to believe that life was not so different then in many ways, and still so unique to our lives today.

    I am curious as to the "Picture in the paper" she talks about. Will we be seeing it too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Margaret. Every day I find myself saying either, "Wow! That was different!" or "Wow! That could be today!" Yes, the picture in the paper is here: http://annbkennedy.blogspot.com/2012/03/june-17-1944-commencement-1944-grades.html

      Delete

I welcome your comments!