Tuesday, January 31, 2012

March 22, 1943 The Dames Get Good Press, The Bahai Boss, Goblets, Biscuits and Chocolate Pie


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"I guess you think we're pretty bad not to have written sooner but it seems that every day goes by so fast I can't get everything done.  Our dinner is Tuesday night and it is going to be informal so I didn't have to buy a dress.  I'm going to wear that pale blue wool jersey dress and my blue hat.  One of the girls at the studio is going with me.


Last night we went to another play, "Claudia".  It was a comedy and we almost laughed our heads off.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035742/plotsummary

This afternoon we went to a lecture that my boss gave to his religious group.  The clipping will tell you a little about it.  It was fairly interesting and we did find out a little about their belief.   The other day Mr. King bought all of us girls in the studio a gardenia.


For our dinner party we had the usual thing with the ham--mashed potatoes, gravy and peas.  I made biscuits and we had grated carrots salad, chocolate pie and coffee.  It was all good.  The ham was awfully good.  I boiled it first and then baked it, so it was good and tender.  I made a pie with the mincemeat you gave me, today.  It looks awfully good but I haven't cut it yet.

I finally bought my goblets.  They are really fancy but awfully pretty.  I got six and after shopping all over town I finally bought Rock Sharpe.  You just can't find much Fostoria here and the clerks said Rock Sharpe was better than Tiffin so I bought that.  I'm going to buy the sherberts in about a month.  I got them at Malley's so I got a discount and they cost me $6.07.

Hope everyone is fine."

Oodles of love,

           B & Bonnie

                                 

                                        

Biscuits

Sift together 2 c flour, 4 tsp. baking powder and 1 tsp salt.
Melt heaping T shortening in baking pan, tilt pan to grease it and pour off the rest into flour mix.  Add enough milk to make soft dough.
Turn out onto well floured board.  Pat 1/2" thick & cut.
Bake at 400 about 15 min.

Chocolate Pie (The New Hood Cookbook, 1939)

1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup cornstarch, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 2 cups milk, 3 eggs, separated, 3 squares unsweetened chocolate, 2 tablespoons butter, 1 teaspoon vanilla and 1 baked pastry shell.
Combine sugar, cornstarch and salt.  Scald milk with chocolate, stirring until blended.  Pour slowly over cornstarch mixture and cook over hot water 10 minutes or until thick and smooth, stirring constantly.  Pour slowly over beaten egg yolks, add butter and continue cooking for 3 or 4 minutes.  
Add vanilla and cool.  Turn into baked pastry shell and top with Meringue made using the leftover egg whites.  Bake in a moderate oven, not more than 10 or 15 minutes. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!