Thursday, January 26, 2012

December 20, 1942 The Army, "Angel Street", Santa and The Christmas Tree


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"This  is Sunday, but we got your letter this morning, anyway.  There are 1000 extra postal employees on for the Xmas season here in New Haven, so they delivered this morning.

It seems that everything happens at once.  I thought maybe B's mother would call you about B's call and who did tell you?  Needless to say, we are heart-broken, but there's always hope.  He went to the board here and they told him to write and have his physical examination transferred up here and it would be sometime after Christmas when he would have it.  He sent an airmail letter to the board at home and we got a letter from them yesterday, asking for the number of this board, so the letters crossed on the way.  When he was examined at Yale he was perfect except for his eyes and a few teeth.  Mr. Hill called him over the other day, and told him to keep his registration at home because this board handles so many Yale students they don't care who they take and he also said he would write a letter for deferment until after this school year if B passed his physical.  Don't worry about it--there isn't anything we can do if it comes and things will turn out all right some way or other.  We have our plans made if he does have to go.  I had resigned my job and had an appointment to see the registrar at New Haven Teacher's College about my work at home.  I was starting to school Jan. 4 and of course now I'll keep my job until we find out definitely about the army.  If I stay here in New Haven I'll move into another room here in the house and eat out.  I wouldn't want to cook for myself and $45. is too much for me to use as a sleeping room.  There is a lovely room on this same floor for $4. a week.  I'll keep the car.  I'm glad you didn't call.  It would have scared me good and proper and I won't be calling unless something turns up suddenly.



I believe we're going to have a white Christmas.  You ought to see our Christmas tree.  It's a little artificial one that one of the girls at the studio let me use.  She's getting a big real one this year and suggested I use hers.  It's real pretty.

Bonnie and the tree

This afternoon we're going out to Griffin's to see Santa Claus.  They have two children and the neighborhood sponsors a Santa Claus that goes to each house with a gift for each child.  Christmas day we're all going to Caughlan's to a big turkey dinner.

I don't have to work the Sat. after Christmas so we're all getting together and then go to another new play, "Angel Street".

We're going to have to hurry or be late for Santa Claus so bye bye.  Have a big happy Christmas and we'll be thinking of you all."

                            Lots and lots of love,

                                         B & Bonnie

P.S.  Our apartment is good and warm.

NOTE from Ann:  If interested in this play, see below:  http://www.andreaking.com/AngelStreetPage.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!