Friday, January 22, 2016

September 29, 1973 The Pouring Rain, The Spur-of-the-moment, The Old King, The Knitting Group and The Enclosed Clipping


Dear Mother,

"The sun is coming out but it has been cloudy and rainy the last two days but real hot. We started after tomatoes yesterday after B got thru at school but by the time we got to the place it was raining so hard we couldn't get out of the car. It really poured for awhile.

B has gone to a trustees meeting at Eureka College and will be back sometime this afternoon. I was invited to come too for a coffee and then lunch with other wives but couldn't go since we're looking for Bob & Pat sometime this afternoon. We had a card from them on Thursday. It's a spur-of-the-moment visit and we don't know what time they'll have to leave tomorrow. We enjoyed our little visit with them last weekend. We went out to a shopping center to look around and then ate dinner in a Chinese restaurant. Bob left early Sunday morning for the hospital but didn't have to stay long. His patients are Veterans and lots of them go home over the weekend. He really enjoyed the meeting in Washington and met Dr. Sabin--man who discovered the oral vaccine for polio. He says he is old but everyone caters to him as if he were a king.

My knitting group met here Tuesday night and I think there were 15. I served apple cake with a dab of ice-cream. Some drink coffee and some tea so I always have to make that.



The first fall meeting of As You Like It Club was Thursday and that was real nice. It was a luncheon.

I'm still sewing but there are so many other things to do that it takes a long time to finish up anything. I'd rather stick with it and get it done. I'm working on a jacket now. It is an uneven plaid so it is real tricky to match and that takes longer. It is going to be nice though and rather dressy. I'm going to wear it with a long skirt. More and more long dresses are being worn to evening affairs and I decided I'd better have something like everyone else.

Our potluck group meets tonight. I hate to leave Bob & Pat but it's too late to change things and I have to take the meat. I'm cooking a turkey and hope to have plenty of leftovers.

The enclosed clipping is from the University paper. I thought you'd like to see it.


I had better write to Ann while I have a chance. The day goes so fast.  Hope you are fine. Are you still eating your eggs & banana every day?"


                        Love,

                            Bonnie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!