Monday, November 23, 2015

July 30, 1972 The Real Holiday, The Beautiful Fountains, The Roadside Stand, The Sore Feet and The Big Flowers

Dear Mother,

"Our trip to Kansas City was a real holiday for me and in spite of the work B enjoyed it, too. We drove to Bob's home on Saturday and got there about 4:00. Mrs. K. has a lovely, homey place. It is very pretty and since the daughter is majoring in interior decoration they have done quite a bit of redecorating.

Mrs. K. drove us all over Marshall to show us the town and the college there. It is a real nice town and has some beautiful, big old homes. We left about 9:00 Sunday morning and got to Kansas City about noon. B did some reading and then we found an interesting Chinese restaurant to eat supper before his first meeting.

Catherine came in early Monday morning and really showed me K.C. She showed me all the tourist spots and then we went to the Plaza which was the first attempt at a shopping center in the U.S. It is just a little city of shops with a Spanish theme in the architecture. There are beautiful fountains everywhere and it is a lovely area besides having so many beautiful stores. We looked and looked. Things were very expensive. We asked the price of a quilt in one store and it was $2,500.  You'd better start selling some of yours. This one was pieced and very complicated. I tried to find the pattern in my book but it wasn't there. I'm going to look for it when I get to a big bookstore, if I don't forget it.

That evening the working group went out to eat together and I got back just in time to go. We went to a nice restaurant down by the stockyards and had a good dinner. That was the only time the group ate together.

Our motel was close to the downtown area so I walked down to the stores Tuesday afternoon but didn't stay long. The stores downtown are pretty much run down. I guess everything has been moved out to shopping centers. There are lots of empty buildings and that looks bad. It was terribly hot too, so I just went back to the motel and read.

B finished his part of the work about noon Wednesday and we started right home. It was about 9:00 when we got here.

It rained on us part of the way home which cooled the air. We stopped at a roadside vegetable stand for some tomatoes and corn since we were looking for Bob & Pat on Thursday.

It was after 10:00 when they came because he had worked all day. He said the work was harder on his feet than anything. They got sore when he had to be on them for 24 hours. Yesterday, they spent all day getting out the camping stuff and left this morning. They'll be gone about two weeks and have lots of plans for that time. They are going to spend one day in Washington with Pat's dad & then go back to York, Pa. with him to stay overnight. That's where he works.

I have picked 3 tomatoes but the bugs have chewed on them so I don't know whether they will ruin all of them or not.

I keep wondering about Aunt Nora and hope she's getting all right. She looked so good when we were home last. Uncle Francis must really be quite a bit better if he's gaining. I'm glad he could go to Hadley's. It was probably very tiring but I know the change would be good for all of them.

Yes, Rosalynn & Ray did sell their house but they are going to build on that lot just below the Goforth house so they aren't moving away. At least, I think that's the spot. Anyway, it is close and they will live in one of the little houses until the new one is done.

I have the material to cover Ann's chair and it is really bright--big flowers. I think it will be pretty & hope she thinks so.

Maybe I'd better get to work. I want to cut out a dress for Pat so I'll be ready to sew in a few days.

Hope you are fine."



NOTE:  On the back of the photo (Dad on the left) is the notation by the press photographer, "July '72, Kansas City--Looks like you are hard at making a point".  In response to the reader's question about Dad's work at Illinois State University,  in 1972 he was the Dean of Academic Services and Director of Summer Sessions. In recent years prior to that, he was the Dean of the Undergraduate School and Associate Dean of Faculties. Throughout the University's academic, social and personnel turbulence, he remained a steadfast and stable leader. I wish our grandmother had saved his letters because they would no doubt lend great interest to both the blog and the family history.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!