Thursday, October 29, 2015

January 29, 1972 The Church Bus, The Big Snow, The Experiment, The Spring Dress and The Flu Bug


Dear Mother,

"Isn't it nice that the church has a bus? Now you can go when you please. Several of our churches have buses and they pick up college students. There isn't any public transportation here on Sunday and students either walk or call taxis.


We have a big snow on the ground and the temperature stays around zero day and night. The sun is bright so everything looks pretty. It is so cold the snow doesn't melt a bit and so it stays white.

B has gone to the office for awhile but we're going to see about some beef for the freezer after lunch. It is so high we haven't bought any in a long time.


Our potluck group meets tonight and I have made a new salad recipe to take. It is made with beets and looks good so I hope it will be. I don't usually experiment on a crowd that way but maybe it will be all right this time.


I started a spring dress this week but don't think I'll be wearing it very soon. It is green figured. I bought the material while we were on that trip last November. We stopped at a mill in N. Carolina.

We had a letter from Bob this week and they are fine but we haven't heard from Ann since last Saturday.

Take care of yourself and stay away from the flu bug."

                      Love,

                         Bonnie

NOTE:  Since there isn't any rating on the beet salad recipe above, maybe it was this one:


4 comments:

  1. As long as the horseradish was from Collinsville, the salad would have been great!
    http://www.internationalhorseradishfestival.com/
    Hmm, come to think of it, we bought our '88 Dodge Caravan in Collinsville.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if it coincided with the Prime Rib Fest:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mike, you must really know Collinsville. Even though it grows more than half of domestic horseradish, it seems few people know about that. I'd like to know how many acres are involved, but since a little horseradish goes a long way, it must not be a big patch. Kind of like Avery Island, home of Tabasco. (I think we are on the second bottle in our marriage, which means we've been together for a looong time.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so sorry to be so late in responding to your comment, but I have just now discovered it! Thank you for writing and I hope Mike has seen your reply! I learn something new with every reader comment, including this one. Who knew Collinsville was so special:-) Thanks again.

      Delete

I welcome your comments!