Friday, October 9, 2015

August 14, 1971 The Knit Suit, The Wonderful Time, The Quilt Blocks, The Navy Threads and The Day Time Rest


Dear Mother,

"It is rainy and hot today but B & Bob are working on the cars--changing oil and things like that.

Patty's classes are all over and she is glad. She is anxious to know her grades but they should be A's the way she worked. Bob still has two more weeks. They expect Pat's younger sister to come for a visit just before they go to Atlanta and then she can ride home with them. But they haven't heard from her so really don't know.

I've been working on a knit suit for myself this week and I guess it is going to turn out alright. I wasn't really in the mood to sew but felt I had to. I guess I'll just wait until the kids are gone to start on the kitchen. I think it will be simpler since we won't worry about meals and such. B & I can get by lunch on a peanut butter sandwich but they can't.


We had a card from Ann on Tuesday saying they got into their apartment Sunday evening. They made wonderful time in the truck. They got everything unpacked and straightened and got their bank account established there besides some other business attended to before leaving on their trip.


They used every minute of their time, I guess. She called from Kennedy airport Thurs. evening and they were ready to get on the plane for England. I guess they are having a wonderful time in London now.


I'm glad you got your dress done and hope you'll like the collar better after you wear it a few times.

I finally got a letter written to Aunt Nora after Burdett's accident. It was hard to write and I sent Florence a card. I hardly know her and don't know the children but I know they mean a lot to Aunt Nora.

Maybe you are working on those quilt blocks too much and not giving your back enough rest. That may sound funny but holding your arms in the same position for a long time could cause the muscles to cramp. I had to quit knitting one time because of that very thing. The pains were shooting across my chest and down my arms and it was nothing but cramped muscles from the knitting.

I finished the baby afghan and blocked it. The size is fine and I got some pink blanket binding to put around the edge. That's another little job I'll have to finish.

I still leave the wool quilt around and work at embroidering the seams a little most every day. There really is a lot of work on it and I doubt if I get it done before school starts.

If B can find the time we plan to go to Chicago for two or three days next week to rest as much as anything. We're going to look for him a suit and I would buy a dress if I could fine one to fit. I haven't bought a ready made dress in years. We'll stay in Bob & Pat's apartment and maybe go to the museum or something like that.

I'd better stop and get the sweeper going. There are little navy threads from my sewing all over the place and it is almost noon.

Try getting a little more day time rest and leave off the sewing for awhile. Maybe that will help your back."

                    Lots of love,

                          Bonnie

5 comments:

  1. Re the Virginia Slims ad, and not there exists a good smelling cigarette, that brand was the foulest smelling of the lot. It was the smoke of choice of my self-described "Feminazi" cousin till she finally quit.
    Still very much enjoying following along. In Aug 71, I was at NSA (yes, that NSA...) at Fort Meade, MD.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That ad was bombarding all the magazines and that slogan just wouldn't die:-)

    Wow! The NSA, tsk tsk!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Back then it was No Such Agency, as I recall. Wish there had been No Such Cigarettes, fowl smell being only one of their disadvantages. Thanks for your service, Mike. Bob K.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good grief, I meant foul, not fowl. Cigarettes are stinky but chickens smell better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey, Bob, the NSA way back in '71 and '72 - to the best of my lowly Air Force E-5 knowledge, anyway - behaved itself domestically and only went about "foreign collection." The stuff that Snowden revealed is at least as disturbing as Ellsburg's revelations were back then. Bill of Rights? What Bill of Rights?
    Cigarettes - well, I've had no tobacco since Dec '86, but I ran through my share.
    Chickens? Ask my wife about my fried chicken addiction. As Rob't E. Lee once said, "All I ever wanted was a Virginia farm with no end of fresh cream and butter and fried chicken. Not one fried chicken or two, but unlimited fried chicken." One notes that the general died of heart disease at age 63.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome your comments!