Thursday, July 9, 2015

October 19, 1969 The Homecoming, The Full Week, The Table Show, The Moratorium and The Kids


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"We have been to the ball game so I'm not thawed out yet. This is homecoming weekend so the town is running over with former students. There was a parade this morning and the game this afternoon. Tonight we're going to a play. It is cold and cloudy but the rain held off although there were some sprinkles during the game.

This has been another full week and we have a Pen Women meeting tomorrow in Pekin. One morning I went to Clinton with a friend to have work done on her car so we went to the store where you got your skillet. I got one just like it, I think. I've tried before but they hadn't had them.


Another day a friend and I decorated a table for a table show the symphony was having to make money. They had 26 tables set up in a church dining room and charged people to see them. It was real nice and lots of people came. I'll try to send a clipping out of the paper if I remember it.


We haven't heard from Bob yet this week but Ann writes about all she's doing so I guess she is about rid of her cold.


We have had some frost so the tomato plants look pretty wilted but I have picked the big green tomatoes & have them spread out in the windows. They ripen a few at a time so maybe we'll have some for awhile. There are still lots of green ones on the vines but I don't have time to make relish and I don't need it. We are still eating what I made last year.

The strike is finally over and everyone is glad.

I.S.U. students took part in the moratorium and it was all very well done. They had a church service to start the day, talks thru the day & then a silent candlelight march & service to end it all. I think the town was impressed because they expected trouble. I wanted to go to part of it but had other things I had to do. Nixon had better start listening to the kids.



We plan to spend Thursday night in Richland if all goes as we plan. I don't know when we'll start on Thursday so don't plan supper & we'll leave about 10:00 Friday morning & go to Fulton for the rest of the weekend. It will be a short visit but we'll get to see all of you, anyway.

Hope you both are fine."

                       Lots of love,

                           Bonnie



NOTE: Not very many students were in class on October 15, 1969. We could attend the rally on Westminster's campus and also go by busload to Columbia for the noon rally. Generally speaking they were both peaceful with the exception of some students who staged a small and insignificant "Rally Against the Rally".  To read the entire Life article: https://books.google.co.cr/books?id=e1AEAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=October+24,+1969&hl=en&sa=X&ei=sKaZVYO6KpOpyAT0noOoDQ&ved=0CCUQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=October%2024%2C%201969&f=false

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!