Friday, March 20, 2015

July 23, 1967 The Ground, The Interruptions, The Apple Pie and The Get Together


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It has been a terribly hot day and we need rain so much. Everything is just wilted and the ground is starting to crack in the flower beds.

Thanks for the article on Traywick. We had wondered about him and were surprised he's at Wm. & Mary. We hadn't seen anything in the paper about him in a long time and Bob wouldn't have known. I want to subscribe to the Wm. & Mary newspaper next fall and think we'll be able to keep up with things there a little better.

I'll try to bring you the Manchester book sometime when we come home. If I forget it you must remind me. Right now I'm reading a book about the Chinese people but it is slow--too many interruptions.

My apple pie was sour enough to almost make your hair curl and I poured the sugar on, too. It was good anyway. I finally got the rest of the apples made into sauce and in the freezer. We won't eat much applesauce but I use it in salads sometimes.

I'm so glad they found that Deberry child. If they get the right doctor for her she can probably be helped. Of course, she may have a brain tumor or something like that, too.

Ann has a friend staying with her tonight and we are going to a "get together". That is what the woman called it when she invited us. We have been to their house many times because they are primitive art collectors. He is head of our art department and they travel to out-of-the-way places and bring back native crafts--pottery, jewelry, weaving, etc. They have these parties to show their latest collections.

B has painted on the window frames every evening this week and finally got them all back in place tonight. I have my design drawn on my spice shelf but didn't find the paint I needed so will have to look someplace else for it. Ann and I did a little sewing this week and finally finished a blouse and a pair of culottes for her that she had started weeks ago. I need a cotton dress or two but never did get started on it.


I'm helping at Sunday School again during vacation time but don't think I'd want to teach regularly.

B plans to clean up the basement and paint the walls in the furnace room next week. He probably has more things he wants to do than he'll have time for.

Hope you both are fine."

                     Lots of love,

                         Bonnie

NOTE:  From the Missouri State University library resources, read the statement below for a brief description of the controversy regarding President Traywick:

Dr. Leland Traywick served as the fourth president from 1961 to 1964. Leland Eldridge Traywick was born in Okmulgee, Oklahoma on June 7, 1915 and "held the degrees of A.B. and A.M. from the University of Missouri and the in economics from the University of Illinois." The Greenwood Laboratory School was established, an addition was added to the library, and with federal loans extensive additions were made to the residence halls. "Fairly early in his administration tension began to build up in the faculty, and friction developed between the president and the Board as to where lay the 'center of gravity' in governance of the College. These 'divergent views' gradually grew to the point where they were irreconcilable." Dr. Traywick resigned in 1964.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!