Sunday, January 18, 2015

May 7, 1966 The Little Package, The Full Week, The Blue Formal and The Cleaner Kitchen


Dear Mother & Daddy,

"It's a beautiful day and I hope the whole weekend will be this way. We hope you both have a wonderful day on Sunday and wish we could spend it with you. A little package is on the way, Mother.

This has been a real full week. Ann has been sick again but went back yesterday. She sang in a concert last night and was supposed to accompany part of it but begged off because she hadn't been able to practice. Polly invited her to go to Kansas City with her this weekend but she's so behind with school work I don't want her to go.

Bob has been home sick two days now and still feels pretty miserable. It's a sore throat and flu, I guess, for it has been going thru the school. We are so disappointed he has to be sick now because he was supposed to go to Urbana tonight to receive his Westinghouse certificate and to be honored at a Science dinner for the Ill. students who won them. It is a two day affair and he had his reservations but simply isn't able to go. He feels too punk to even care, I think.

Our car is all fixed now and you can't tell it was even hit. The girl came last night and paid for it. I felt sorry for the kid but her folks said she had to pay it herself. They had insurance, too. It was $44.52 but that was the cheapest estimate we got.


We are supposed to go to a formal tonight. I have to find some white shoes this afternoon but am going to wear the blue dress Charlotte gave me. I had it cleaned and it looks real nice. It's plenty tight around the waist.

Bonnie & a blue formal in 1942

I have started to play golf one morning a week with some faculty women. It's the only way I'll ever get any exercise I think, and besides it's fun. We played Wednesday morning and my shoulder was a little sore the next day but the walking was nice. The gold course is a beautiful place and I think I'm going to enjoy it. I used Bob's clubs but they are too long so I think B's going to give me some women's clubs for Mother's Day.

We don't have a kitty anymore. She didn't come in Saturday night and we found her in the street Sunday morning. I guess she was hit by a car but you couldn't tell. Ann was heartbroken but hasn't even mentioned her all week. I miss her but the kitchen stays cleaner and I don't have to be so careful with leaving food out.

I know what you mean about the shantung. I had made a dress out of it last summer and didn't remember but really had a time with the beige piece. I finished Ann's dress in time for her to wear to the concert last night. She needed it for the evening was hot.

I wish I had some of Beulah's petunia plants. When I can find time I want to put out some plants and see if I can't have a few flowers this summer after the iris are gone. They aren't even budded yet but if we have a few more nice days they will.

Hope you both are real fine."

                            Lots of love,

                                 Bonnie


No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome your comments!